- The average Subaru Legacy car insurance cost is $1,466 per year, or $122 per month, for full coverage.
- The Legacy AWD trim level is the cheapest to insure at around $1,340 per year, while the most expensive model to insure is the Touring XT AWD at $1,586 per year.
- The Legacy ranks #1 out of 13 vehicles in the 2022 midsize car class for car insurance affordability.
- Average insurance rates for earlier model years include the 2013 Subaru Legacy at $952 per year, the 2014 Legacy at $890, and 2015 models at $1,104.
How much does Subaru Legacy car insurance cost?
Subaru Legacy car insurance costs on average $1,466 a year for full coverage, or $122 each month. With the average midsize car costing $1,577 a year to insure, the Subaru Legacy would save around $111 or more each year on insurance.
Average monthly payments for full-coverage insurance on a 2022 Subaru Legacy range from $112 per month on the base Legacy AWD model to $132 per month on the Touring XT AWD model.
The chart below displays average car insurance cost on a 2022 Legacy using a range of different policy rating factors.
|Driver Risk Profile||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|High Risk Driver Age 30||$3,346||$279|
|Safe Driver Age 20||$2,932||$244|
|At-fault Accidents Age 40||$2,072||$173|
|Low Deductibles Age 40||$1,924||$160|
|Safe Driver Age 30||$1,550||$129|
|Safe Driver Age 40||$1,466||$122|
|Safe Driver Age 50||$1,338||$112|
|Safe Driver Age 60||$1,314||$110|
|High Deductibles Age 40||$1,232||$103|
|Discount Rate Age 40||$1,218||$102|
In order to help you grasp the full range of possible insurance rates, consider that a liability-only insurance policy on a Subaru Legacy in some parts of Idaho or Ohio can be as cheap as $236 a year, while a teenager with a poor driving record in some neighborhoods in Los Angeles could get a bill for $11,964 a year for a policy that provides full coverage.
What is the cheapest Subaru Legacy insurance?
With Subaru Legacy insurance rates ranging from $1,340 to $1,586 annually for the average driver, the cheapest trim level to insure is the base AWD model. The second cheapest model to insure is the Premium AWD at $1,392 per year. On average, plan on paying around $112 per month for a policy with full coverage on a new Legacy.
The most expensive trim levels of Subaru Legacy to insure are the Touring XT AWD and the Limited XT AWD both at $1,586 per year. Those two models will cost an extra $246 per year over the cheapest base AWD model.
The rate table below shows average Legacy car insurance rates for annual and semi-annual policy terms, in addition to a monthly budget amount.
|Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Policy||6-month Policy||Per Month|
|Limited XT AWD||$1,538||$769||$128|
|Touring XT AWD||$1,586||$793||$132|
How do Legacy insurance prices compare?
When compared directly to other popular midsize cars, insurance for a Subaru Legacy costs $22 less per year than Toyota Camry insurance, $114 less than Honda Accord insurance, $226 less than Nissan Altima insurance, and $124 less than Tesla Model 3 insurance.
The Subaru Legacy ranks #1 out of 13 total comparison vehicles in the 2022 midsize car segment. The Legacy costs an average of $1,466 per year for insurance and the class average cost is $1,577 per year, a difference of $111 per year.
The chart below shows how car insurance cost for a Subaru Legacy compares to the other nine best-selling models in the top 10 list. After the chart, a table is also included detailing insurance affordability rankings for the entire midsize car class.
|9||Tesla Model 3||$1,590||$124|
By factoring in MSRP, we can compare insurance cost for the midsize models that are priced most similarly to the Legacy. The 2022 Legacy has an average purchase price of $29,611 and ranges from $22,995 to $36,195.
The models that are closest in price to the Legacy are the Volkswagen Passat, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, and Mazda 6. The data below shows how those models compare to a 2022 Subaru Legacy for overall purchase price and average cost of insurance.
- Subaru Legacy vs. Volkswagen Passat – With an average sticker price of $28,962 and ranging from $27,295 to $30,295, the Volkswagen Passat costs $649 less than the average MSRP for the Subaru Legacy. The average insurance cost for a 2022 Subaru Legacy compared to the Volkswagen Passat is $28 less per year.
- Subaru Legacy vs. Toyota Camry – The average MSRP for a 2022 Subaru Legacy is $662 cheaper than the Toyota Camry, at $29,611 compared to $30,273. The average insurance cost for a 2022 Legacy compared to the Toyota Camry is $22 less per year.
- Subaru Legacy vs. Nissan Altima – The 2022 Nissan Altima has an average sticker price of $28,735, ranging from $24,550 to $34,250, which is $876 cheaper than the MSRP for the Subaru Legacy. Insuring a Subaru Legacy compared to the Nissan Altima costs an average of $226 less each year.
- Subaru Legacy vs. Mazda 6 – Having an average price of $30,542 ($24,475 to $35,900), the Mazda 6 costs $931 more than the average MSRP for the Subaru Legacy. Drivers can expect to pay around $42 more annually for insurance on the Mazda 6 compared to a Legacy.
Subaru Legacy prior model year insurance rates
The following sections detail Subaru Legacy insurance rates for every trim level for the 2013 to 2021 model years.
2021 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
Average insurance rates for a 2021 Subaru Legacy are $1,496 per year, or around $125 per month. Rates range from $1,384 per year for the Legacy AWD to $1,578 for the Legacy Touring XT AWD.
|2021 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|Limited XT AWD||$1,578||$132|
|Touring XT AWD||$1,578||$132|
2020 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
Average insurance rates for a 2020 Subaru Legacy are $1,470 per year, or around $123 per month. Rates range from $1,360 per year for the Legacy AWD to $1,546 for the Legacy Touring XT AWD.
|2020 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|Limited XT AWD||$1,546||$129|
|Touring XT AWD||$1,546||$129|
2019 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
Insurance rates for a 2019 Subaru Legacy average $1,366 per year, or about $114 per month. Rates range from $1,266 per year for the Legacy 2.5I AWD to $1,452 for the Legacy 3.6R Limited AWD.
|2019 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|2.5I Premium AWD||$1,340||$112|
|2.5I Sport AWD||$1,360||$113|
|2.5I Limited AWD||$1,408||$117|
|3.6R Limited AWD||$1,452||$121|
2018 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
2018 Subaru Legacy insurance rates average $1,316 per year, or around $110 per month. Cost ranges from $1,238 per year for the Legacy 2.5I AWD to $1,386 for the Legacy 3.6R Limited AWD.
|2018 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|2.5I Premium AWD||$1,286||$107|
|2.5I Sport AWD||$1,324||$110|
|2.5I Limited AWD||$1,352||$113|
|3.6R Limited AWD||$1,386||$116|
2017 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
A 2017 Subaru Legacy averages $1,256 per year for full coverage insurance, or around $105 per month. Rates range from $1,164 per year for the Legacy 2.5I AWD to $1,334 for the Legacy 3.6R Limited AWD.
|2017 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|2.5I Premium AWD||$1,204||$100|
|2.5I Sport AWD||$1,242||$104|
|2.5I Limited AWD||$1,294||$108|
|2.5I Sport Navi/Eyesight AWD||$1,294||$108|
|3.6R Limited AWD||$1,334||$111|
2016 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
Average insurance cost for a 2016 Subaru Legacy is $1,190 per year, or around $99 per month. Rates range from $1,124 per year for the Legacy 2.5I AWD to $1,244 for the Legacy 3.6R Limited AWD.
|2016 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|2.5I Premium AWD||$1,158||$97|
|2.5I Limited AWD||$1,232||$103|
|3.6R Limited AWD||$1,244||$104|
2015 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
Insurance rates average $1,104 per year for a 2015 Subaru Legacy, or around $92 per month. Rates range from $1,038 per year for the Legacy 2.5I AWD to $1,154 for the Legacy 3.6R Limited AWD.
|2015 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|2.5I Premium AWD||$1,074||$90|
|2.5I Limited AWD||$1,144||$95|
|3.6R Limited AWD||$1,154||$96|
2014 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
Average insurance cost for a 2014 Subaru Legacy is $890 per year, or around $74 per month. Rates range from $844 per year for the Legacy 2.5I AWD to $950 for the Legacy 3.6R Limited AWD.
|2014 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|2.5I Premium AWD||$876||$73|
|2.5I Limited AWD||$886||$74|
|3.6R Limited AWD||$950||$79|
2013 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
Insurance rates for a 2013 Subaru Legacy average $952 per year, or about $79 per month. Rates range from $902 per year for the Legacy 2.5I AWD to $1,000 for the Legacy 3.6R Limited AWD.
|2013 Subaru Legacy Trim Level||Annual Rate||Per Month|
|2.5I Premium AWD||$932||$78|
|2.5I Limited AWD||$962||$80|
|3.6R Limited AWD||$1,000||$83|
Additional Rates and Information
A few additional insights about insuring a Legacy include:
- Get cheaper rates by researching policy discounts. Discounts may be available if the insured drivers take a defensive driving course, sign their policy early, are away-from-home students, drive a vehicle with safety or anti-theft features, or many other policy discounts which could save the average driver as much as $248 per year on Subaru Legacy insurance.
- Tickets and violations cost money. In order to get the most affordable price on Legacy insurance rates, it pays off to be a safe driver. Just a couple of minor blemishes on your driving record can potentially raise insurance cost by at least $386 per year.
- Negligent driving raises insurance rates. Causing frequent accidents will increase insurance cost, possibly as much as $2,070 per year for a 20-year-old driver and even as much as $452 per year for a 60-year-old driver.
- Increase physical damage deductibles to save money. Boosting your deductibles from $500 to $1,000 could save around $234 per year for a 40-year-old driver and $462 per year for a 20-year-old driver.
- Decreasing deductibles will cost more. Dropping your deductibles from $500 to $250 could cost an additional $244 per year for a 40-year-old driver and $488 per year for a 20-year-old driver.
- The older you are, the lower your insurance rates are. The difference in 2022 Subaru Legacy insurance cost between a 60-year-old driver ($1,314 per year) and a 30-year-old driver ($1,550 per year) is $236, or a savings of 15.2%.
- The gender of the driver affects insurance cost. For a 2022 Subaru Legacy, a 20-year-old male pays an average price of $2,932 per year, while a 20-year-old female will pay an average of $2,160, a difference of $772 per year. The females get much better rates. But by age 50, the cost for a male driver is $1,338 and the female rate is $1,312, a difference of only $26.