- Average car insurance cost in Colorado is $1,892 per year, or around $158 per month.
- When compared to other West region states, Colorado ranks ninth out of 11 states for cheapest car insurance rates and ranks 37th out of all 50 U.S. states.
- Some of the cheapest car insurance in Colorado can be found on models like the Honda Passport, Buick Envision, Mazda CX-5, and Chevrolet Trailblazer.
What is average car insurance cost in Colorado?
The average cost of car insurance in Colorado is $1,892 per year, which is 12.3% more expensive than the national average rate of $1,685. Average car insurance cost per month in Colorado is around $158 for full coverage.
Average Colorado car insurance quotes for some of the most popular vehicles include the Subaru Forester at an average of $1,594 per year, the Honda CR-V at $1,602, the Toyota RAV4 at $1,752, the Toyota Tacoma at $1,730, and the Jeep Wrangler at $2,098 per year.
The chart below shows average car insurance in Colorado broken out by driver age and policy deductible limits. Rates are averaged for all 2023 vehicle models including luxury brand cars and SUVs.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Colorado auto insurance rates in the chart above range from $1,430 per year for a 60-year-old driver with $1,000 deductibles to $4,374 per year for a 20-year-old driver with $250 deductibles.
As monthly rates, average cost of car insurance per month in Colorado ranges from $119 to $365 for the rates shown in the chart.
Is Colorado expensive compared to other states?
When compared to surrounding states, average Colorado car insurance quotes are 20.8% more expensive than Wyoming, 22.4% more expensive than Utah, 30.5% more expensive than New Mexico, 8.9% more expensive than Kansas, and 28.4% more expensive than Nebraska.
It’s not all doom and gloom, however. When compared to states in other parts of the country, the average cost of auto insurance in Colorado is 11.3% cheaper than California, 7.3% cheaper than New York, 10.3% cheaper than Nevada, 13.8% cheaper than Florida, and 21.6% cheaper than Michigan.
The chart below compares the cost of car insurance in Colorado to other states in the western U.S. Colorado ranks ninth out of 11 states in the West region for cheapest car insurance rates, with only California and Nevada having more expensive average rates.
|West Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
Colorado car insurance rates by vehicle segment
The chart below shows average car insurance rates in Colorado for all the different vehicle segments like compact cars, midsize SUVs, and luxury models. Average rates general cost the least on vehicles in segments like compact SUVs, vans, and midsize pickups.
|Vehicle Segment||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Compact Luxury SUV||$2,046||$171|
|Compact Luxury Car||$2,082||$174|
|Heavy Duty Pickup||$2,174||$181|
|Midsize Luxury SUV||$2,198||$183|
|Midsize Luxury Car||$2,406||$201|
|Large Luxury SUV||$2,782||$232|
|Large Luxury Car||$2,918||$243|
The chart above shows average car insurance rates for each segment, but the next section breaks out the individual cars, trucks, and SUVs that have the overall cheapest average car insurance rates in Colorado.
What is the cheapest car insurance in Colorado?
The cheapest overall car insurance quotes in Colorado will be found on small SUVs like the Subaru Crosstrek, Nissan Kicks, Mazda CX-5, and Buick Envision.
Average auto insurance quotes for those small SUVs cost $1,512 or less per year ($126 per month) for full coverage.
Some additional models that are in the top 20 in our car insurance cost comparison are the Honda CR-V, Hyundai Kona, Ford Maverick, and Subaru Ascent.
For other segments like compact and midsize cars, midsize and full-size SUVs, and luxury models, the list below shows the cheapest model to insure in each different vehicle segment.
- Cheapest compact car insurance – Subaru Impreza at $1,566 per year or $131 per month
- Cheapest compact SUV insurance – Chevrolet Trailblazer at $1,430 per year or $119 per month
- Cheapest midsize car insurance – Subaru Legacy at $1,740 per year or $145 per month
- Cheapest midsize SUV insurance – Honda Passport at $1,470 per year or $123 per month
- Cheapest full-size car insurance – Chrysler 300 at $1,844 per year or $154 per month
- Cheapest full-size SUV insurance – Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,772 per year or $148 per month
- Cheapest midsize pickup insurance – Ford Maverick at $1,572 per year or $131 per month
- Cheapest full-size pickup insurance – Nissan Titan at $1,872 per year or $156 per month
- Cheapest heavy duty pickup insurance – GMC Sierra 2500 HD at $1,940 per year or $162 per month
- Cheapest minivan insurance – Honda Odyssey at $1,728 per year or $144 per month
- Cheapest sports car insurance – Mazda MX-5 Miata at $1,746 per year or $146 per month
- Cheapest compact luxury car insurance – Acura Integra at $1,698 per year or $142 per month
- Cheapest compact luxury SUV insurance – Acura RDX at $1,578 per year or $132 per month
- Cheapest midsize luxury car insurance – Cadillac CT5 at $2,036 per year or $170 per month
- Cheapest midsize luxury SUV insurance – Lexus RX 350 at $1,692 per year or $141 per month
- Cheapest full-size luxury car insurance – Audi A5 at $2,122 per year or $177 per month
- Cheapest full-size luxury SUV insurance – Volvo XC90 at $1,952 per year or $163 per month
The table below takes the top 50 cheapest vehicles to insure from all segments and ranks them by annual cost.
Colorado car insurance rates for popular vehicles
The cheapest vehicles to insure are not always the most popular. An in Colorado, off-road capable vehicles are some of the most popular.
The chart below shows average auto insurance rates in Colorado for 20 hand-picked vehicles that give drivers the option to hit the high country. Models include a full lineup of Jeeps and Subarus, the Ford Bronco, Toyota Tacoma and 4Runner, and many capable SUVs and full-size pickups.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee||$2,010||$168|
Colorado car insurance rates by city
Listed below are some of the larger cities in Colorado and the average annual and monthly car insurance rates for each. Visit any page to view detailed rate information, including average rates, cost comparisons, and the cheapest vehicles to insure in each city.
- Denver Car Insurance - $2,072 per year or $173 per month
- Colorado Springs Car Insurance - $2,030 per year or $169 per month
- Aurora Car Insurance - $2,150 per year or $179 per month
- Fort Collins Car Insurance - $1,668 per year or $139 per month
- Lakewood Car Insurance - $2,134 per year or $178 per month
- Thornton Car Insurance - $2,122 per year or $177 per month
- Pueblo Car Insurance - $2,306 per year or $192 per month
- Arvada Car Insurance - $1,872 per year or $156 per month