- Average Volvo XC90 car insurance cost is $1,866 per year, or $156 per month for full coverage.
- The cheapest Volvo XC90 insurance is on the Core B5 AWD trim level at around $1,728 per year. The most expensive trim is the RechargeUltimate at $1,996 per year.
- The XC90 ranks first out of 13 vehicles in the 2023 large luxury SUV class for insurance affordability, and costs 35.2% less than the average rate for the segment.
- Insurance on a used Volvo XC90 could save $744 or more each year over the cost of buying new.
How much does Volvo XC90 insurance cost?
Volvo XC90 insurance costs $1,866 a year on average, or about $156 on a monthly basis, for a full coverage policy. With the average large luxury SUV costing $2,662 a year to insure, the Volvo XC90 is $796 cheaper.
Average Volvo XC90 insurance cost per month ranges from $144 to $166, depending on the trim level of the vehicle being insured.
The chart below details average car insurance rates on a 2023 Volvo XC90 using a variety of different driver ages and risk scenarios.
|Driver Risk Profile||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|High Risk Driver Age 30||$4,258||$355|
|Safe Driver Age 20||$3,728||$311|
|At-fault Accidents Age 40||$2,606||$217|
|Low Deductibles Age 40||$2,552||$213|
|Safe Driver Age 30||$1,998||$167|
|Safe Driver Age 40||$1,866||$156|
|Safe Driver Age 50||$1,700||$142|
|Safe Driver Age 60||$1,670||$139|
|Discount Rate Age 40||$1,552||$129|
|High Deductibles Age 40||$1,518||$127|
What is the cheapest Volvo XC90 car insurance?
Out of all the XC90 models available for 2023, the cheapest to insure is the Core B5 AWD model at $1,728 per year. The next cheapest trim is the base Plus B5 AWD at $1,790 per year, and the third cheapest trim to insure is the Core B6 AWD at $1,802 per year.
The most expensive 2023 XC90 models to insure are the RechargeUltimate at $1,996 and the Recharge Plus at $1,946 per year. Those two trim levels will cost an extra $268 and $218 per year, respectively, over the least expensive Core B5 AWD model.
The rate table below details the average 2023 Volvo XC90 car insurance rates, including a monthly budget amount, for each available trim level and package.
|Volvo XC90 Trim Level||Annual Policy||Six-Month Policy||Per Month|
|Core B5 AWD||$1,728||$864||$144|
|Plus B5 AWD||$1,790||$895||$149|
|Core B6 AWD||$1,802||$901||$150|
|Plus B6 AWD||$1,838||$919||$153|
|Ultimate B6 AWD||$1,904||$952||$159|
How does XC90 insurance cost compare?
When insurance rates are compared to the most popular models in the large luxury SUV segment, the Volvo XC90 costs $444 less per year than the Mercedes-Benz GLS450, $642 less than the Cadillac Escalade, $434 less than the BMW X7, and $1,276 less than the Land Rover Range Rover.
The Volvo XC90 ranks first out of 13 total comparison vehicles in the 2023 large luxury SUV class. The XC90 costs an average of $1,866 per year to insure for full coverage and the category average is $2,662 per year, a difference of $796 per year.
When compared to all 2023 model year vehicles (not just luxury SUVs), Volvo XC90 insurance costs 7.7% more than the national average car insurance rate of $1,728 per year.
The table below shows how well average Volvo XC90 car insurance rates compare to the entire class of big luxury SUVs.
|7||Lexus LX 570||$2,544||$678|
|8||Mercedes-Benz EQS 580 SUV||$2,714||$848|
|9||BMW Alpina XB7||$2,932||$1,066|
|11||Land Rover Range Rover||$3,142||$1,276|
|12||Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG||$3,298||$1,432|
|13||Mercedes-Benz Maybach GLS 600||$3,442||$1,576|
Does an older XC90 cost less to insure?
Choosing to insure a 2013 Volvo XC90 instead of a new 2023 model could potentially save as much as $744 annually. Even choosing a more recent 2018 model could save around $358 each year.
The data below details average car insurance rates for a Volvo XC90 for the 2013 to 2023 model years. Policy costs range from a minimum value of $1,122 for a 2013 Volvo XC90 to a maximum value of $1,866 for a 2023 model.
|Model Year and Vehicle||Annual Rate||6-month Rate||Monthly Rate|
|2023 Volvo XC90||$1,866||$933||$156|
|2022 Volvo XC90||$1,828||$914||$152|
|2021 Volvo XC90||$1,764||$882||$147|
|2020 Volvo XC90||$1,736||$868||$145|
|2018 Volvo XC90||$1,508||$754||$126|
|2017 Volvo XC90||$1,614||$807||$135|
|2016 Volvo XC90||$1,414||$707||$118|
|2014 Volvo XC90||$1,262||$631||$105|
|2013 Volvo XC90||$1,122||$561||$94|
Some additional rates and observations about XC90 insurance include:
- High-risk XC90 insurance is expensive. For a 40-year-old driver, having a high frequency of accidents or violations could increase the cost by $2,226 or more per year.
- Improve your credit for cheaper auto insurance rates. In states that have laws allowing credit history to be used for the purpose of determining insurance rates, having a credit score above 800 may save $293 per year over a good rating of 670-739. Conversely, a lower credit rating could cost as much as $340 more per year.
- Tickets and violations cost money. If you want to receive the best XC90 insurance rates, it pays to obey traffic laws. A few blemishes on your driving record have the ramification of increasing rates by as much as $484 per year. Serious misdemeanor violations such as driving under the influence could raise rates by an additional $1,712 or more.
- Earn policy discounts to save money. Discounts may be available if the insureds are good students, take a defensive driving course, sign their policy early, are claim-free, or other policy discounts which could save the average driver as much as $314 per year on the cost of insuring a Volvo XC90.
- As you age, car insurance rates tend to get cheaper. The difference in XC90 insurance rates between a 50-year-old driver ($1,700 per year) and a 20-year-old driver ($3,728 per year) is $2,028, or a savings of 74.7%.
- Your employer could reduce your rates. Some auto insurance companies offer policy discounts for specific occupations like scientists, doctors, architects, emergency medical technicians, firefighters, farmers, and others. If you can get this discount applied to your policy, you may save between $56 and $183 on your yearly XC90 insurance cost, depending on the level of coverage purchased.
- Expect to pay a lot to insure a teenager. Average Volvo XC90 car insurance for teenagers costs $6,368 per year for a 16-year-old driver, $6,064 per year for a 17-year-old driver, and $5,704 per year for an 18-year-old driver.