GMC car insurance costs an average of $1,880 per year for 2023 models. Rates range from $1,608 a year for a GMC Terrain up to $2,286 per year for the GMC Hummer EV Pickup.
When compared to the U.S. national average car insurance rate, which is $1,728 per year, GMC vehicles cost an average of $152 more more per year to insure.
The table below shows average annual and monthly car insurance rates for the different GMC models. Follow any model link for detailed trim-level rates and segment comparisons.
|Model||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|GMC Hummer EV||$2,142||$179|
|GMC Hummer EV Pickup||$2,286||$191|
|GMC Sierra 2500 HD||$1,856||$155|
|GMC Sierra 3500||$1,912||$159|
GMC models compete primarily in the SUV and pickup segments, and have always been considered a “nicer Chevy” since both are GM products and share the majority of parts and components.
When compared to competing brands, average car insurance cost on GMC models is:
- 4.5% more expensive per year than Chevrolet
- 2.9% more expensive than Ford
- 12.7% more expensive than Honda
- 5.7% more expensive than Nissan
- 6.4% cheaper than Ram
- 2.7% more expensive per year than Toyota.
The chart below visualizes this comparison, with GMC rates being the orange bar and the competition being the blue bars.
Average insurance rates for GMC vehicles tend to be slightly higher than both Chevy and Ford, and also run more than Japanese brands like Honda, Nissan, and Toyota.
The chart below compares GMC insurance rates (first row) to other popular auto manufacturers. The difference column indicates the dollar difference per year in insurance cost between the comparison brand and GMC.
If the value in the difference column is green, then the average cost of insurance for that brand is cheaper than GMC. If the value is red, the comparison brand is more expensive. Follow any brand link to view detailed car insurance data and rate comparisons.
|Automotive Brand||Insurance Cost||Difference|
GMC vehicles with the cheapest car insurance rates
For 2023 models, the GMC Terrain is the cheapest to insure at $1,608 per year, or around $134 per month. The GMC Canyon ranks second cheapest at $1,646 per year.
Rounding out the top five GMC vehicles with the cheapest insurance rates are the GMC Savana, GMC Acadia, and GMC Sierra 2500 HD. Annual and monthly rates for all cheapest models are shown below.
Top five cheapest 2023 GMC vehicles to insure
- GMC Terrain – (small SUV) Average annual insurance rate of $1,608 ($134 per month)
- GMC Canyon – (midsize truck) Average annual insurance rate of $1,646 ($137 per month)
- GMC Savana – (large van) Average annual insurance rate of $1,702 ($142 per month)
- GMC Acadia – (midsize SUV) Average annual insurance rate of $1,726 ($144 per month)
- GMC Sierra 2500 HD – (heavy duty truck) Average annual insurance rate of $1,856 ($155 per month)