- For cheap car insurance in Cary, small SUV models like the Nissan Kicks, Chevrolet Trailblazer, and Subaru Crosstrek rank near the top.
- Models with the lowest cost auto insurance in Cary for their segment include the Honda Passport ($684 per year), Acura ILX ($784 per year), Mercedes-Benz A220 ($836 per year), and Chevrolet Colorado ($698 per year).
- Car insurance rates for a few popular models in Cary include the Jeep Wrangler at $81 per month, Ram Truck at $81, and Toyota Tacoma at $66.
- Auto insurance quotes in Cary can vary from as little as $35 per month for the minimum required liability coverage to well over $656 per month for drivers needing high-risk coverage.
Cheapest car insurance in Cary, NC
When comparing all car, pickup truck, and SUV models, the vehicles with the cheapest car insurance quotes in Cary, NC, tend to be crossovers and small SUVs like the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Mazda CX-5, Subaru Crosstrek, and Nissan Rogue Sport.
Average car insurance prices for vehicles ranked in the top ten cost $722 or less per year for a full coverage policy.
A few other models that come in near the top in our overall cost comparison are the Hyundai Venue, Subaru Ascent, Kia Seltos, and Ford Maverick.
Average auto insurance rates are somewhat higher for those models than the cheapest small SUVs and crossovers that rank near the top, but they still have average rates of $738 or less per year, or around $62 per month in Cary.
The table below shows the 40 cars, trucks, and SUVs with the cheapest insurance rates in Cary, sorted by average cost.
|Rank||Make/Model||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|9||Nissan Rogue Sport||$710||$59|
|16||Toyota Corolla Cross||$730||$61|
|18||Mazda MX-5 Miata||$736||$61|
|34||Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross||$784||$65|
Some other popular models ranked in the top 40 table above include the Chevrolet Trax, Toyota Tacoma, Honda CR-V, GMC Terrain, and Cadillac XT4. Rates for those models cost between $738 and $796 per year in Cary.
To help put these rates in perspective, some examples that have more expensive insurance rates include the Dodge Durango which costs $83 per month, the Ram Truck that averages $81, and the Audi e-tron at an average of $100.
The next section showcases the average cost of car insurance by vehicle segment. The average rates shown will give you a good foundation of the automotive segments that have the overall best auto insurance rates in Cary.
Cheapest rates by automotive segment
If you’re considering buying a different vehicle, it’s important to have a basic understanding of which categories of vehicles have less expensive car insurance rates in Cary.
The chart below displays average car insurance rates in Cary for different vehicle segments. In general, compact SUVs, vans, and midsize pickups tend to have the most affordable rates, with sports cars and performance luxury models having the highest average cost to insure.
|Vehicle Segment||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Compact Luxury SUV||$956||$80|
|Compact Luxury Car||$964||$80|
|Heavy Duty Pickup||$1,014||$85|
|Midsize Luxury SUV||$1,026||$86|
|Midsize Luxury Car||$1,124||$94|
|Large Luxury SUV||$1,282||$107|
|Large Luxury Car||$1,342||$112|
Segment average rates are useful when making a general cost comparison, but rates can vary significantly within each segment shown above.
For example, in the small SUV segment, insurance rates range from the Mazda CX-5 at $648 per year for full coverage insurance to the Jeep Wrangler at $974 per year.
In the small luxury car segment, the cost of insurance varies from the Mercedes-Benz A220 at $836 per year to the Lexus IS 350 at $1,060 per year.
For this reason, it’s important to get as detailed as you can about the make, model, and trim of the vehicle when comparing car insurance. Even for an individual model, rates can vary considerably between the cheapest and most expensive trim level.
How much is car insurance in Cary, North Carolina?
The average price for car insurance in Cary is $848 per year, which is 45.9% less than the overall U.S. national average rate of $1,567 per year. Average car insurance cost per month in Cary is $71 for a full-coverage car insurance policy.
In North Carolina, the average price for car insurance is $966 per year, so the average cost of car insurance in Cary is $118 less per year than the state average.
The cost to insure a vehicle in Cary compared to other North Carolina locations is about $84 per year less than in Greensboro, $314 per year cheaper than in Fayetteville, and $100 per year cheaper than in Raleigh.
The age of the rated driver has a significant impact the cost of auto insurance, so the list below illustrates these differences by showing average car insurance rates in Cary for drivers from age 16 to 60.
Average cost of car insurance in Cary, NC, for drivers age 16 to 60
- 16 year old – $3,042 per year or $254 per month
- 17 year old – $2,838 per year or $237 per month
- 18 year old – $2,652 per year or $221 per month
- 19 year old – $2,400 per year or $200 per month
- 20 year old – $1,686 per year or $141 per month
- 30 year old – $892 per year or $74 per month
- 40 year old – $848 per year or $71 per month
- 50 year old – $772 per year or $64 per month
- 60 year old – $758 per year or $63 per month
The chart below shows examples of average Cary car insurance cost. Rates are averaged for all Cary Zip Codes and shown for an assortment of driver ages, policy deductibles, and driver risk scenarios.
|Driver Risk Profile||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|High Risk Driver Age 30||$1,922||$160|
|Safe Driver Age 20||$1,686||$141|
|At-fault Accidents Age 40||$1,198||$100|
|Low Deductibles Age 40||$1,104||$92|
|Safe Driver Age 30||$892||$74|
|Safe Driver Age 40||$848||$71|
|Safe Driver Age 50||$772||$64|
|Safe Driver Age 60||$758||$63|
|High Deductibles Age 40||$718||$60|
|Discount Rate Age 40||$706||$59|
In the chart above, the cost of car insurance in Cary ranges from $706 per year for a 40-year-old driver with many policy discounts to $1,922 per year for a 30-year-old driver with too many violations and accidents. From a monthly point of view, the average cost in the chart above ranges from $59 to $160 per month.
Cary car insurance rates can cost significantly different amounts and can change frequently. This large rate variability increases the need to get multiple auto insurance quotes when trying to find the cheapest car insurance coverage.
The cost to insure popular vehicles
The car insurance costs referenced previously are averaged for all 2022 vehicle models, which is suitable when making overall comparisons like the difference in average auto insurance cost for two different locations in North Carolina.
Average auto insurance rates work well when trying to find the answer to questions like “are Cary car insurance rates cheaper than in Charlotte?” or “are car insurance rates in North Carolina cheaper than in Florida?”.
For more comprehensive price comparisons, however, the data will be more precise if we analyze the specific model of vehicle being insured. Every model has a unique risk profile for car insurance rating and this data enables us to get a good idea of how much insurance will cost on each vehicle based on different driver and policy characteristics.
The following chart breaks down average insurance cost for some of the most popular vehicles sold in North Carolina, with rates adjusted for Cary Zip Codes.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Hyundai Santa Fe||$888||$74|
If you compare the models listed in this chart to the previous table showing the top 40 cheapest models to insure, you’ll find that only about the first two popular models rank as the cheapest.
Since there are many, many factors that go into calculating the cost of a policy, it’s difficult to determine exactly what makes some vehicles more expensive than others.
One possibility is a higher vehicle value, like a BMW Alpina B8 which averages $139,900 or an Audi SQ7 with an average purchase price of $88,500. Those two models would definitely not be ranked in the cheapest vehicles to insure.
Another factor is how safe a vehicle keeps occupants in an accident, and the likelihood of having medical claims or liability claims. A couple vehicles that have higher liability insurance cost include the Volkswagen Jetta and the Ford Bronco.
Vehicle usage is also a factor, like if a vehicle tends to be used primarily as a work vehicle or for off-roading. Heavy-duty pickups like the Ford F-250 and F-350 and the Chevy Silverado 2500 HD and 3500 HD models have higher liability rates for this reason.
Tips for getting cheaper Cary auto insurance quotes
You can’t control everything that goes into the cost of car insurance, like your age or gender, but there are a lot of things you can control, like how you drive or the vehicles you buy. The list below goes into some of the ways you can cut the cost of your next policy.
- Remain claim free and save. Most insurance companies give a discounted rate for not filing any claims. Auto insurance should only be used to protect you from large financial hits, not minor claims that should be paid out-of-pocket.
- Shop around anytime. Taking a few minutes to get some free car insurance quotes is our top recommendation for saving money on car insurance. Rates change quite often and you can change companies at any time.
- Research discounts to save money. Savings may be available if the policyholders work in certain occupations, are senior citizens, choose electronic billing, belong to certain professional organizations, or many other discounts which could save the average Cary driver as much as $142 per year on auto insurance.
- Safe drivers have cheaper auto insurance. Too frequent at-fault accidents can raise rates, potentially by an additional $1,186 per year for a 20-year-old driver and even as much as $258 per year for a 60-year-old driver. So be a careful driver and save!
- Compare insurance cost before buying a car. Different cars, and even different trim levels of the same car, have very different costs for insurance, and insurers can price policies with very different rates. Check the price before you buy a new vehicle in order to prevent any surprises when buying coverage for your new car.
- Violations and tickets cost more than a fine. To get cheap auto insurance in Cary, it pays to avoid traffic citations. In fact, just one or two traffic citations could possibly increase policy cost by up to $226 per year. Major violations like failing to stop at the scene of an accident could raise rates by an additional $778 or more.