- Volkswagen Passat insurance rates cost an average of $1,508 per year, $754 for a 6-month policy, or $126 per month.
- The cheapest Passat insurance is on the SE trim level costing an average of $1,488 per year, or $124 per month. The model with the most expensive insurance is the Limited Edition at $1,534 per year, or around $128 per month.
- When compared to the entire 2022 midsize car segment, the VW Passat ranks in the top half at #5 out of 13 total comparison vehicles.
- On a state level, car insurance rates range from a low of $1,040 per year in Maine to $2,396 in Michigan. Rates in a few larger cities include $2,840 in New York City, $1,606 in Dallas, TX, and $2,130 in Oakland, CA.
How much does VW Passat insurance cost?
Volkswagen Passat insurance rates average $1,508 a year, or $126 monthly, for a full coverage policy. Overall, expect to pay around $81 less per year for Volkswagen Passat insurance compared to similar vehicles, and $59 less per year than the all-vehicle national average of $1,567.
The following chart illustrates average car insurance cost for a 2022 Volkswagen Passat rated for different driver ages and risk profiles.
|Driver Risk Profile||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|High Risk Driver Age 30||$3,414||$285|
|Safe Driver Age 20||$2,990||$249|
|At-fault Accidents Age 40||$2,118||$177|
|Low Deductibles Age 40||$1,980||$165|
|Safe Driver Age 30||$1,594||$133|
|Safe Driver Age 40||$1,508||$126|
|Safe Driver Age 50||$1,372||$114|
|Safe Driver Age 60||$1,346||$112|
|High Deductibles Age 40||$1,264||$105|
|Discount Rate Age 40||$1,252||$104|
The insurance cost estimate chart above illustrates an intentionally limited set of data points from a very large data set. If we showed every rate for every risk scenario, including all three different trim levels of Passat and all 40,000+ zip codes in the U.S., the chart would contain 290,304,000,000 different rates.
Not shown in the chart are rates for teenage drivers, which are the highest-cost age group to insure. A 16-year-old male driver with a clean driving record would pay around $5,326 per year for full coverage on a new Passat, while a 16-year-old female would pay about $4,684. At age 17, males would pay around $4,996 and females $4,430.
The following table shows average VW Passat car insurance premiums for the 2013-2022 model years and rates for drivers age 20 through 60.
|Model Year||Driver Age 20||Age 30||Age 40||Age 50||Age 60|
What is the cheapest VW Passat insurance?
The cheapest Volkswagen Passat insurance rates are on the SE at around $1,488 per year, or about $124 per month. The second cheapest model is the R-Line at $1,502 per year.
The $30,295 Limited Edition trim is the most expensive to insure, costing an average of $46 more per year than the cheapest SE model.
The next table shows average VW Passat car insurance cost for each 2022 model year package and trim level.
|Volkswagen Passat Trim Level||Annual Policy||6-month Policy||Per Month|
How does VW Passat insurance cost compare?
When compared to other midsize cars, car insurance for a Volkswagen Passat costs $6 more per year than the Toyota Camry, $80 less than the Honda Accord, $198 less than the Nissan Altima, and $94 less than the Tesla Model 3.
The Volkswagen Passat ranks #5 out of 13 total comparison vehicles in the midsize car class. The Passat costs an estimated $1,508 per year for full coverage insurance, while the segment median rate is $1,589 annually, a difference of $81 per year.
The table below shows how well average auto insurance cost for a Passat compares to all other midsize cars (excluding luxury midsize models).
|9||Tesla Model 3||$1,602||$94|
How much is Passat liability insurance?
At some point, drivers may have to make the decision to drop full coverage and just insure their Passat for liability only. The table below compares full coverage and liability-only insurance rates for the 2000 to 2012 Passat model years.
|Vehicle Model Year||Full Coverage Insurance||Liability Insurance|
|2012 Volkswagen Passat||$1,304||$688|
|2011 Volkswagen Passat||$1,266||$682|
|2010 Volkswagen Passat||$1,220||$678|
|2009 Volkswagen Passat||$1,178||$672|
|2008 Volkswagen Passat||$1,134||$666|
|2007 Volkswagen Passat||$1,086||$656|
|2006 Volkswagen Passat||$1,042||$644|
|2005 Volkswagen Passat||$1,028||$638|
|2004 Volkswagen Passat||$1,012||$634|
|2003 Volkswagen Passat||$982||$628|
|2002 Volkswagen Passat||$960||$622|
|2001 Volkswagen Passat||$941||$610|
|2000 Volkswagen Passat||$922||$597|
How much does Passat insurance cost vary by location?
Insurance cost for a Volkswagen Passat varies significantly, from cheaper premiums like $1,010 a year in Virginia Beach, VA, or $1,132 in Columbus, OH, to more expensive rates like $3,522 a year in New Orleans, LA, and $2,840 in New York, NY.
The following chart visualizes typical insurance cost data for a Volkswagen Passat for the 15 most populated cities in America. Following the chart, we also added a more comprehensive rate table that ranks Passat insurance rates in the top 50 largest cities in the U.S.
Additional Rates and Policy Information
It’s difficult to present the full range of insurance rates in a single article, since there are so many variables that affect the rate you ultimately pay. Below are a few more situations and things to watch out for when shopping around for insurance on your Passat.
- Get cheaper rates because of your profession. Some car insurance providers offer discounts for being employed in occupations like engineers, doctors, accountants, police officers and law enforcement, high school and elementary teachers, and others. Being employed in a qualifying profession could save between $45 and $159 on your annual auto insurance bill, depending on the coverage levels.
- Driver age and gender matter. For a 2022 Volkswagen Passat, a 20-year-old man will pay an estimated rate of $2,990 per year, while a 20-year-old female driver will get a rate of $2,218, a difference of $772 per year definitely in the women’s favor. But by age 50, male driver rates are $1,372 and the rate for females is $1,346, a difference of only $26.
- Volkswagen Passat insurance for teen drivers is expensive. Average rates for full coverage Passat insurance costs $5,326 per year for a 16-year-old driver, $4,996 per year for a 17-year-old driver, and $4,672 per year for a 18-year-old driver.
- As age goes up, auto insurance cost goes down. The difference in insurance rates for a Volkswagen Passat between a 60-year-old driver ($1,346 per year) and a 20-year-old driver ($2,990 per year) is $1,644, or a savings of 55%.
- High-risk drivers pay a lot more for insurance. For a 40-year-old driver, the requirement to buy a high-risk policy increases the cost by $1,796 or more per year.
- Avoid accidents to save on insurance. Having at-fault accidents will cost you more, potentially by an additional $2,092 per year for a 20-year-old driver and even as much as $446 per year for a 60-year-old driver.
- Get cheaper rates by researching discounts. Discounts may be available if the insured drivers are claim-free, drive low annual mileage, insure multiple vehicles on the same policy, are good students, or many other discounts which could save the average driver as much as $256 per year.