- Average car insurance cost in Austin is $1,386 per year, or about $116 per month, for a full-coverage policy.
- Car insurance rates for a few popular vehicles in Austin include the Nissan Altima at $129 per month, GMC Sierra at $118, and Honda Civic at $114.
- Compact SUV models like the Mazda CX-5, Nissan Kicks, Hyundai Venue, and Buick Encore are the best choices for cheap car insurance in Austin.
- A few models with segment-leading car insurance rates include the Cadillac XT5 at $1,364 per year, Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,392 per year, Acura ILX at $1,276 per year, and Subaru Impreza at $1,202 per year.
- Auto insurance quotes in Austin can range significantly from as low as $37 per month for the minimum required liability coverage to well over $662 per month drivers with many accidents and violations.
How much does car insurance cost in Austin?
Average car insurance cost in Austin is $1,386 per year, which is 10.6% less than the national average rate of $1,551. The average monthly cost of car insurance in Austin is $116 for a policy with full coverage.
In the state of Texas, the average car insurance cost is $1,436 per year, so the average cost in Austin is $50 less per year. When prices are compared to other larger cities in Texas, the cost of car insurance in Austin is approximately $72 per year cheaper than in San Antonio, $232 per year less than in Houston, and $240 per year cheaper than in Dallas.
The chart below shows average Austin, TX, car insurance cost for all 2022 models. Rates are averaged for all Austin Zip Codes and shown by driver age and policy deductible amounts.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
In the chart above, the cost of car insurance in Austin ranges from $1,050 per year for a 60-year-old driver with a policy with high physical damage deductibles to $3,188 per year for a 20-year-old driver with a low deductible. From a monthly budget standpoint, the average cost in the chart above ranges from $88 to $266 per month.
Car insurance rates can cost significantly different amounts and depend on a lot of factors. The potential for large premium differences stresses the need to get multiple auto insurance quotes when shopping online for more affordable auto insurance.
The age of the driver is one of the largest factors in the price you pay for auto insurance. The list below illustrates these differences by showing the difference in average car insurance rates in Austin for driver ages from 16 to 60.
Average cost of car insurance in Austin for drivers age 16 to 60
- 16-year-old driver – $4,962 per year or $414 per month
- 17-year-old driver – $4,634 per year or $386 per month
- 18-year-old driver – $4,328 per year or $361 per month
- 19-year-old driver – $3,916 per year or $326 per month
- 20-year-old driver – $2,750 per year or $229 per month
- 30-year-old driver – $1,462 per year or $122 per month
- 40-year-old driver – $1,386 per year or $116 per month
- 50-year-old driver – $1,264 per year or $105 per month
- 60-year-old driver – $1,238 per year or $103 per month
The rates above for teen drivers assumed a male driver. The next chart gets more specific and shows average car insurance cost for teenagers in Austin, Texas, by gender. Teenage female drivers cost a lot to insure, but they are usually cheaper than male drivers of the same age.
|Teen Driver Gender||Age 16||Age 17||Age 18||Age 19|
Car insurance for a female 16-year-old driver in Austin costs an average of $592 less per year than the cost for a 16-year-old male driver, while at age 19, the cost difference is much less but is still $432 per year cheaper for females.
Popular vehicles in Austin and the cost to insure them
The rates referenced earlier in this article take all 2022 models and come up with an average cost, which is practical when making general comparisons like the average cost difference between different locations in Texas.
Average auto insurance rates are good for answering questions like “is Austin car insurance cheaper than Fort Worth?” or “is car insurance in Texas cheaper than Florida?”.
For more accurate auto insurance comparisons, however, we will get better data if we perform a rate analysis for the specific model of vehicle being insured. Each make and model has it’s own profile for determining how much it costs to insure it and this data makes it possible to perform insurance cost projections and comparisons.
This next list displays average insurance rates for both annual and monthly policy terms in Austin for some of the most popular cars, trucks, and SUVs. Towards the end of this article, there is a section that explores the ins-and-outs of insuring a few of these models in more detail.
Average auto insurance cost for popular models in Austin
- Nissan Altima – $1,836 per year or $153 per month
- GMC Sierra – $1,678 per year or $140 per month
- Honda Civic – $1,622 per year or $135 per month
- Jeep Grand Cherokee – $1,812 per year or $151 per month
- Ford Explorer – $1,544 per year or $129 per month
- Hyundai Elantra – $1,844 per year or $154 per month
- Chevrolet Silverado – $1,770 per year or $148 per month
- Jeep Cherokee – $1,822 per year or $152 per month
- Mazda CX-5 – $1,246 per year or $104 per month
- Nissan Rogue – $1,608 per year or $134 per month
Popular vehicle models in Austin tend to be compact and midsize cars like the Toyota Corolla and Nissan Altima and small or midsize SUVs like the Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Additional popular vehicles from different automotive segments include luxury SUVs like the Acura MDX and Lexus RX 350, luxury cars like the Lexus ES 350 and Acura ILX, and pickup trucks like the Chevy Silverado and Ford Ranger.
We get into more auto insurance rates in a little bit, but before we delve that deep, let’s rehash the comparisons and key concepts that were discussed so far.
- Austin car insurance rates are cheaper than the Texas state average – $1,386 (Austin average) versus $1,436 (Texas average)
- Car insurance rates drop a lot between ages 20 and 30 – The average 30-year-old Austin, Texas, driver will pay $1,596 less per year than a 20-year-old driver, $1,804 compared to $3,400.
- Average cost per month ranges from $128 to $512 – That is the average car insurance cost range for insured drivers age 16 to 60 in Austin, TX.
- A low deductible policy costs more – A 20-year-old driver pays an average of $900 more per year for a policy with $250 deductibles compared to $1,000 deductibles.
- Teen females pay less than teen males – Female drivers age 16 to 19 pay $432 to $592 less annually than male drivers of the same age.
- Car insurance gets cheaper as you get older – Average auto insurance rates for a 40-year-old driver in Austin are $1,686 per year cheaper than for a 20-year-old driver.
Which vehicles cost the least to insure in Austin?
The models with the cheapest car insurance prices in Austin tend to be crossovers and small SUVs like the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Nissan Kicks, Buick Encore, and Toyota C-HR. Average auto insurance quotes for those compact SUVs cost $1,368 or less per year for full coverage car insurance.
Some additional vehicles that are ranked high in our cost comparison are the Buick Envision, Subaru Forester, Acura RDX, and Ford Maverick.
Average insurance cost is a little bit more for those models than the cheapest small SUVs at the top of the rankings, but they still have average rates of $118 or less per month in Austin.
The following table shows the 25 car, truck, and SUV models with the cheapest auto insurance in Austin, sorted by average cost.
|Rank||Make/Model||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|9||Nissan Rogue Sport||$1,156||$96|
|16||Toyota Corolla Cross||$1,190||$99|
|19||Mazda MX-5 Miata||$1,202||$100|
A list of 25 of the cheapest vehicles to insure in Austin serves the purpose if you just want the absolute lowest rates. A more useful way to examine auto insurance rates in an organized fashion is by breaking them out by automotive segment.
This next article section illustrates the average price of car insurance in Austin for each vehicle segment. The average rates shown should provide a better idea of which vehicles have the best average auto insurance rates. After the chart, the next sections break out the cheapest rates for individual vehicles in the most popular segments.
Austin auto insurance rates by automotive segment
When shopping for a new or used vehicle, it’s useful to know which kinds of vehicles have cheaper insurance rates. For instance, maybe you want to know if minivans are more affordable to insure than SUVs or which size car has has cheaper auto insurance.
The chart below displays average car insurance rates in Austin for different vehicle segments. Typically, compact and midsize SUVs, vans, and midsize pickups have the best rates, while sports cars and performance luxury models have the highest average cost to insure.
|Vehicle Segment||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Compact Luxury SUV||$1,558||$130|
|Compact Luxury Car||$1,574||$131|
|Heavy Duty Pickup||$1,652||$138|
|Midsize Luxury SUV||$1,676||$140|
|Midsize Luxury Car||$1,836||$153|
|Large Luxury SUV||$2,092||$174|
|Large Luxury Car||$2,194||$183|
Average rates for different segments are fine for blanket comparisons, but rates vary quite a lot within each segment listed in the above chart.
For example, in the small luxury car segment, Austin insurance rates range from the Mercedes-Benz A220 at $1,362 per year for full coverage insurance up to the BMW M340i costing $1,732 per year, a difference of $370 within that segment.
As another example, in the large SUV segment, insurance rates range from the Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,392 per year up to the Jeep Grand Wagoneer at $1,844 per year, a difference of $452 within that segment.
In the upcoming sections, we eliminate this variability by analyzing the cost of car insurance in Austin for individual models.
Cheapest car insurance rates in Austin, TX
Ranked at #1 in Austin for cheapest auto insurance rates in the non-luxury sedan segment is the Subaru Impreza, at $1,202 per year. Second place is the Chevrolet Spark costing $1,208 per year, ranking third is the Volkswagen Golf, at an average of $1,332 per year, and the fourth most affordable is the Subaru Legacy, costing an average of $1,344 per year.
Some other cars that have affordable average insurance rates are the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Camry, and Kia K5, with average annual insurance rates of $1,364 per year or less.
From a monthly standpoint, auto insurance in Austin on this segment for a middle-age safe driver starts at around $100 per month, depending on the company and your location.
When rates are compared by vehicle size, the cheapest non-luxury compact car to insure in Austin is the Subaru Impreza at $1,202 per year, or $100 per month. For midsize models, the Subaru Legacy has the cheapest rates at $1,344 per year, or $112 per month. And for full-size sedans, the Toyota Avalon is cheapest to insure at $1,456 per year, or $121 per month.
The rate comparison table below ranks the twenty cars with the most affordable insurance in Austin.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Looking for a different vehicle? That’s no problem! Enter your zip code at the bottom of the table above and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free car insurance quotes from top-rated companies in Texas.
Cheapest SUV insurance rates in Austin, TX
Taking the top spot in Austin for cheapest insurance in the non-luxury SUV segment is the Mazda CX-5, coming in at $1,054 per year. Second place is the Nissan Kicks costing $1,082 per year, and the third cheapest is the Chevrolet Trailblazer, costing an average of $1,088 per year.
Not the cheapest in the list, but still ranking well, are models like the Buick Encore, Toyota C-HR, Nissan Rogue Sport, and Hyundai Venue, with average annual insurance rates of $1,180 per year or less.
Additional SUVs worth mentioning include the Ford Edge, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Kona, Subaru Ascent, and Mazda CX-30, which cost between $1,180 and $1,250 per year for full-coverage insurance.
Auto insurance rates in this segment for a safe driver starts at around $88 per month, depending on the company. The rate comparison table below ranks the twenty SUVs with the most affordable average auto insurance rates in Austin.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Nissan Rogue Sport||Compact||$1,156||$96|
|Toyota Corolla Cross||Compact||$1,190||$99|
Don’t see your SUV in the table above? Enter your zip code at the bottom of the above table and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free Austin car insurance quotes from top auto insurance companies in Texas.
Cheapest sports car insurance rates in Austin
Taking the top spot in Austin for cheapest average insurance in the sports car segment is the Mazda MX-5 Miata, costing an average of $1,202 per year. Second place is the Ford Mustang costing $1,460 per year, and in third place is the BMW Z4, at an average of $1,492 per year.
Other models that rank well include the Subaru BRZ, Toyota GR Supra, BMW M3, and Chevrolet Corvette, with average cost of $1,798 per year or less.
Additional cars that rank well include the Mercedes-Benz AMG GT53, Porsche 911, BMW M4, Porsche 718, and Jaguar F-Type, which average between $1,798 and $2,284 per year to insure in Austin.
Auto insurance in Austin for this segment can cost as low as $100 per month, depending on where you live and the company you use. The comparison table below ranks the sports cars with the lowest-cost car insurance in Austin, starting with the Mazda MX-5 Miata at $100 per month and ending with the Lexus LC 500 at $190 per month.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Type||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Mazda MX-5 Miata||Sports Car||$1,202||$100|
|Ford Mustang||Sports Car||$1,460||$122|
|BMW Z4||Sports Car||$1,492||$124|
|Subaru WRX||Sports Car||$1,576||$131|
|Toyota GR86||Sports Car||$1,616||$135|
|Toyota GR Supra||Sports Car||$1,654||$138|
|Audi TT||Sports Car||$1,688||$141|
|Subaru BRZ||Sports Car||$1,740||$145|
|Chevrolet Corvette||Sports Car||$1,748||$146|
|BMW M3||Sports Car||$1,798||$150|
|Porsche 718||Sports Car||$1,874||$156|
|Chevrolet Camaro||Sports Car||$1,922||$160|
|Lexus RC F||Sports Car||$1,960||$163|
|Dodge Challenger||Sports Car||$1,974||$165|
|Mercedes-Benz AMG GT53||Sports Car||$2,002||$167|
|Jaguar F-Type||Sports Car||$2,096||$175|
|Porsche Taycan||Sports Car||$2,150||$179|
|Porsche 911||Sports Car||$2,202||$184|
|BMW M4||Sports Car||$2,206||$184|
|Lexus LC 500||Sports Car||$2,284||$190|
Need rates for a different vehicle? Enter your zip code at the bottom of the above table and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free car insurance quotes from the best companies in Austin.
Cheapest pickup truck insurance rates in Austin
The Chevrolet Colorado takes the #1 ranking as the most affordable pickup truck to insure in Austin, followed by the Ford Maverick, Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier. The 2022 model costs an average of $1,142 per year to insure with full coverage.
Not the cheapest, but still very affordable, are pickups like the Hyundai Santa Cruz, Jeep Gladiator, Honda Ridgeline, and Ford F150, with an average car insurance cost of $1,364 per year or less.
On a monthly basis, full-coverage insurance on this segment in Austin for a safe driver will start around $95 per month, depending on your company and location.
The rate comparison table below ranks the twenty pickups with the cheapest average insurance rates in Austin, starting with the Chevrolet Colorado at $95 per month and ending with the GMC Sierra 3500 at $136 per month.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Hyundai Santa Cruz||Midsize||$1,334||$111|
|Ford F350 Super Duty||Heavy Duty||$1,504||$125|
|Chevrolet Silverado HD 3500||Heavy Duty||$1,514||$126|
|Nissan Titan XD||Heavy Duty||$1,556||$130|
|GMC Sierra 2500 HD||Heavy Duty||$1,618||$135|
|GMC Sierra 3500||Heavy Duty||$1,628||$136|
Don’t see rates for your pickup? No sweat! Enter your zip code at the bottom of the above table and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free Austin car insurance quotes from top-rated companies in Texas.
Cheapest luxury car insurance rates in Austin, Texas
The top three luxury cars with the cheapest auto insurance rates in Austin are the Acura ILX at $1,276 per year, the Mercedes-Benz A220 at $1,362 per year, and the BMW 330i at $1,466 per year.
Some other luxury cars that have cheaper rates are the BMW 228i, Lexus RC 300, BMW 230i, and Alfa Romeo Giulia, with an average car insurance cost of $1,538 per year or less.
Full-coverage auto insurance in Austin for this segment for the average driver starts at around $106 per month, depending on your location and insurance company.
When prices are compared by vehicle size, the most affordable small luxury car to insure in Austin is the Mercedes-Benz A220 at $1,362 per year. For midsize luxury models, the Acura ILX has the best rates at $1,276 per year. And for large luxury car models, the Audi A5 has the most affordable rates at $1,628 per year.
The table below ranks the luxury cars with the lowest-cost insurance in Austin.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Alfa Romeo Giulia||Compact||$1,538||$128|
|Lexus RC 300||Midsize||$1,538||$128|
|Lexus RC 350||Compact||$1,544||$129|
|Mercedes-Benz AMG CLA35||Midsize||$1,574||$131|
|Mercedes-Benz AMG CLA45||Midsize||$1,610||$134|
See our guide for luxury car insurance to compare rates for all makes and models.
Don’t see rates for your luxury car? Enter your zip code at the bottom of the table above and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free Austin car insurance quotes from top companies in Texas.
Cheapest luxury SUVs to insure in Austin, TX
Ranking highest for the lowest-cost Austin car insurance rates in the luxury SUV segment are the Volvo XC40, Cadillac XT5, Acura RDX, Lexus NX 250, and Cadillac XT4. Auto insurance quotes for these 2022 models average $1,380 or less per year, or around $115 per month.
Additional luxury SUVs that have cheaper rates are the Lexus NX 350, Lexus NX 350h, Lexus UX 200, and BMW X1, with average rates of $1,418 per year or less.
Some additional models that made the list include the Lincoln Corsair, Infiniti QX50, Lexus RX 350, Acura MDX, and Lexus RX 450h, which cost between $1,418 and $1,470 per year for insurance in Austin.
Auto insurance rates in this segment for the average driver starts at around $99 per month, depending on the company.
The most affordable small luxury SUV to insure in Austin is the Acura RDX at $1,190 per year. For midsize luxury SUVs, the Cadillac XT5 has the best rates at $1,364 per year. And for large luxury SUVs, the Volvo XC90 has the most affordable rates at $1,500 per year.
The comparison table below ranks the twenty SUVs with the cheapest car insurance rates in Austin, starting with the Acura RDX at $99 per month and ending with the Lincoln Corsair at $123 per month.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Lexus NX 250||Compact||$1,380||$115|
|Lexus NX 350h||Compact||$1,388||$116|
|Lexus UX 250h||Compact||$1,390||$116|
|Lexus NX 350||Compact||$1,412||$118|
|Lexus UX 200||Compact||$1,418||$118|
|Lexus RX 350||Midsize||$1,430||$119|
|Lexus NX 450h||Compact||$1,452||$121|
|Mercedes-Benz GLB 250||Compact||$1,458||$122|
|Lexus RX 450h||Midsize||$1,460||$122|
|Land Rover Evoque||Compact||$1,466||$122|
See our comprehensive guide for luxury SUV insurance to view data for vehicles not featured in the table.
Don’t see rates for your luxury SUV? Enter your zip code at the bottom of the table and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free Austin car insurance quotes from top-rated auto insurance companies in Texas.
Tips for saving money on Austin auto insurance
Smart drivers in Austin should always be thinking of ways to save money on insurance So read through the savings tips below and maybe you’ll find a way to save some money.
- If your car is older, remove unneeded coverages. Dropping full coverage from older vehicles can cut the cost of car insurance significantly.
- Being a good driver saves money. Too frequent at-fault accidents can raise rates, potentially up to $640 per year for a 30-year-old driver and as much as $440 per year for a 50-year-old driver. So drive safe and save money!
- Raising deductibles results in a cheaper policy. Jacking up your deductibles from $500 to $1,000 could save around $232 per year for a 40-year-old driver and $452 per year for a 20-year-old driver.
- Remain claim free. Most insurers offer discounts if you have not filed any claims. Insurance should be used for significant claims, not for minor claims that can easily be paid out-of-pocket.
- Buy vehicles with low cost insurance rates. Vehicle performance is a big factor in the price you pay for auto insurance. For example, a Volvo XC40 costs $588 less per year to insure in Austin than a Chevrolet Camaro. Drive cheaper models and save money.
- Get cheaper rates by researching policy discounts. Savings may be available if the policyholders work in certain occupations, are homeowners, choose electronic billing, are claim-free, take a defensive driving course, or many other policy discounts which could save the average Austin driver as much as $234 per year.
- Raise your credit score for cheaper insurance rates. Having a high credit rating of over 800 could save a minimum of $218 per year compared to a lower credit score of 670-739. Conversely, a lower credit rating could cost as much as $252 more per year. Not all states use credit score as a rating factor, so check with your agent or company.