- Average car insurance cost in Austin is $1,556 per year, or about $130 per month, for a full-coverage policy.
- Car insurance rates for a few popular vehicles in Austin include the Nissan Altima at $139 per month, GMC Sierra at $142, and Honda Civic at $127.
- Compact SUV models like the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Subaru Crosstrek, Kia Seltos, and Buick Encore are the best choices for cheap car insurance in Austin.
- A few models with segment-leading car insurance rates include the Lexus RX 350 at $1,396 per year, Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,460 per year, Cadillac CT5 at $1,676 per year, and Subaru Impreza at $1,290 per year.
- Auto insurance quotes in Austin can range significantly from as low as $37 per month for the minimum required liability coverage to well over $662 per month drivers with many accidents and violations.
How much does car insurance cost in Austin?
Average car insurance cost in Austin is $1,556 per year, which is 8% less than the national average rate of $1,685. The average monthly cost of car insurance in Austin is $130 for a policy with full coverage.
In the state of Texas, the average car insurance cost is $1,638 per year, so the average cost in Austin is $82 less per year. When prices are compared to other larger cities in Texas, the cost of car insurance in Austin is approximately $80 per year cheaper than in San Antonio, $246 per year less than in Houston, and $254 per year cheaper than in Dallas.
The chart below shows average Austin, TX, car insurance cost for all 2023 models. Rates are averaged for all Austin Zip Codes and shown by driver age and policy deductible amounts.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
In the chart above, the cost of car insurance in Austin ranges from $1,178 per year for a 60-year-old driver with a policy with high physical damage deductibles to $3,600 per year for a 20-year-old driver with a low deductible. From a monthly budget standpoint, the average cost in the chart above ranges from $98 to $300 per month.
Car insurance rates can cost significantly different amounts and depend on a lot of factors. The potential for large premium differences stresses the need to get multiple auto insurance quotes when shopping online for more affordable auto insurance.
The age of the driver is one of the largest factors in the price you pay for auto insurance. The list below illustrates these differences by showing the difference in average car insurance rates in Austin for driver ages from 16 to 60.
Average cost of car insurance in Austin for drivers age 16 to 60
- 16-year-old driver – $5,584 per year or $465 per month
- 17-year-old driver – $5,222 per year or $435 per month
- 18-year-old driver – $4,878 per year or $407 per month
- 19-year-old driver – $4,414 per year or $368 per month
- 20-year-old driver – $3,100 per year or $258 per month
- 30-year-old driver – $1,640 per year or $137 per month
- 40-year-old driver – $1,556 per year or $130 per month
- 50-year-old driver – $1,420 per year or $118 per month
- 60-year-old driver – $1,392 per year or $116 per month
The rates above for teen drivers assumed a male driver. The next chart gets more specific and shows average car insurance cost for teenagers in Austin, Texas, by gender. Teenage female drivers cost a lot to insure, but they are usually cheaper than male drivers of the same age.
|Gender||Driver Age 16||Age 17||Age 18||Age 19|
Car insurance for a female 16-year-old driver in Austin costs an average of $670 less per year than the cost for a 16-year-old male driver, while at age 19, the cost difference is much less but is still $490 per year cheaper for females.
Popular vehicles in Austin and the cost to insure them
The rates referenced earlier in this article take all 2023 models and come up with an average cost, which is practical when making general comparisons like the average cost difference between different locations in Texas.
Average auto insurance rates are good for answering questions like “is Austin car insurance cheaper than Fort Worth?” or “is car insurance in Texas cheaper than Florida?”.
For more accurate auto insurance comparisons, however, we will get better data if we perform a rate analysis for the specific model of vehicle being insured. Each make and model has it’s own profile for determining how much it costs to insure it and this data makes it possible to perform insurance cost projections and comparisons.
This next list displays average insurance rates for both annual and monthly policy terms in Austin for some of the most popular cars, trucks, and SUVs. Towards the end of this article, there is a section that explores the ins-and-outs of insuring a few of these models in more detail.
Average auto insurance cost for popular models in Austin
- Nissan Altima – $1,968 per year or $164 per month
- GMC Sierra – $2,020 per year or $168 per month
- Honda Civic – $1,802 per year or $150 per month
- Jeep Grand Cherokee – $1,962 per year or $164 per month
- Ford Explorer – $1,572 per year or $131 per month
- Hyundai Elantra – $2,006 per year or $167 per month
- Chevrolet Silverado – $2,018 per year or $168 per month
- Jeep Cherokee – $1,998 per year or $167 per month
- Mazda CX-5 – $1,446 per year or $121 per month
- Nissan Rogue – $1,696 per year or $141 per month
Popular vehicle models in Austin tend to be compact and midsize cars like the Toyota Corolla and Nissan Altima and small or midsize SUVs like the Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Additional popular vehicles from different automotive segments include luxury SUVs like the Acura MDX and Lexus RX 350, luxury cars like the Lexus ES 350 and Acura ILX, and pickup trucks like the Chevy Silverado and Ford Ranger.
We get into more auto insurance rates in a little bit, but before we delve that deep, let’s rehash the comparisons and key concepts that were discussed so far.
- Austin car insurance rates are cheaper than the Texas state average – $1,556 (Austin average) versus $1,638 (Texas average)
- Car insurance rates drop a lot between ages 20 and 30 – The average 30-year-old Austin, Texas, driver will pay $1,460 less per year than a 20-year-old driver, $1,640 compared to $3,100.
- Average cost per month ranges from $116 to $465 – That is the average car insurance cost range for insured drivers age 16 to 60 in Austin, TX.
- A low deductible policy costs more – A 20-year-old driver pays an average of $814 more per year for a policy with $250 deductibles compared to $1,000 deductibles.
- Teen females pay less than teen males – Female drivers age 16 to 19 pay $490 to $670 less annually than male drivers of the same age.
- Car insurance gets cheaper as you get older – Average auto insurance rates for a 40-year-old driver in Austin are $1,544 per year cheaper than for a 20-year-old driver.
Which vehicles cost the least to insure in Austin?
The models with the cheapest car insurance prices in Austin tend to be crossovers and small SUVs like the Nissan Kicks, Subaru Crosstrek, Buick Encore, and Mazda CX-5. Average auto insurance quotes for those compact SUVs cost $1,462 or less per year for full coverage car insurance.
Some additional vehicles that are ranked high in our cost comparison are the Hyundai Venue, Ford Edge, Honda HR-V, and Ford Maverick.
Average insurance cost is a little bit more for those models than the cheapest small SUVs at the top of the rankings, but they still have average rates of $131 or less per month in Austin.
The following table shows the 25 car, truck, and SUV models with the cheapest auto insurance in Austin, sorted by average cost.
|Rank||Make/Model||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|5||Nissan Rogue Sport||$1,216||$101|
A list of 25 of the cheapest vehicles to insure in Austin serves the purpose if you just want the absolute lowest rates. A more useful way to examine auto insurance rates in an organized fashion is by breaking them out by automotive segment.
This next article section illustrates the average price of car insurance in Austin for each vehicle segment. The average rates shown should provide a better idea of which vehicles have the best average auto insurance rates. After the chart, the next sections break out the cheapest rates for individual vehicles in the most popular segments.
Austin auto insurance rates by automotive segment
When shopping for a new or used vehicle, it’s useful to know which kinds of vehicles have cheaper insurance rates. For instance, maybe you want to know if minivans are more affordable to insure than SUVs or which size car has cheaper auto insurance.
The chart below displays average car insurance rates in Austin for different vehicle segments. Typically, compact and midsize SUVs, vans, and midsize pickups have the best rates, while sports cars and performance luxury models have the highest average cost to insure.
|Vehicle Segment||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Compact Luxury SUV||$1,688||$141|
|Compact Luxury Car||$1,714||$143|
|Heavy Duty Pickup||$1,792||$149|
|Midsize Luxury SUV||$1,812||$151|
|Midsize Luxury Car||$1,980||$165|
|Large Luxury SUV||$2,292||$191|
|Large Luxury Car||$2,406||$201|
Average rates for different segments are fine for blanket comparisons, but rates vary quite a lot within each segment listed in the above chart.
For example, in the small luxury car segment, Austin insurance rates range from the Acura Integra at $1,400 per year for full coverage insurance up to the BMW M340i costing $1,904 per year, a difference of $504 within that segment.
As another example, in the large SUV segment, insurance rates range from the Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,460 per year up to the Jeep Grand Wagoneer at $2,030 per year, a difference of $570 within that segment.
In the upcoming sections, we eliminate this variability by analyzing the cost of car insurance in Austin for individual models.
Cheapest car insurance rates in Austin, TX
Ranked at #1 in Austin for cheapest auto insurance rates in the non-luxury sedan segment is the Subaru Impreza, at $1,290 per year. Second place is the Volkswagen Jetta costing $1,424 per year, ranking third is the Subaru Legacy, at an average of $1,436 per year, and the fourth most affordable is the Nissan Sentra, costing an average of $1,446 per year.
Some other cars that have affordable average insurance rates are the Mazda 3, Toyota Prius, Kia K5, and Toyota Camry, with average annual insurance rates of $1,504 per year or less.
From a monthly standpoint, auto insurance in Austin on this segment for a middle-age safe driver starts at around $108 per month, depending on the company and your location.
When rates are compared by vehicle size, the cheapest non-luxury compact car to insure in Austin is the Subaru Impreza at $1,290 per year, or $108 per month. For midsize models, the Subaru Legacy has the cheapest rates at $1,436 per year, or $120 per month. And for full-size sedans, the Chrysler 300 is cheapest to insure at $1,520 per year, or $127 per month.
The rate comparison table below ranks the twenty cars with the most affordable insurance in Austin.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Mitsubishi Mirage G4||Compact||$1,536||$128|
|Tesla Model 3||Midsize||$1,594||$133|
See our comprehensive guides for compact car insurance, midsize car insurance, and full-size car insurance to view data for vehicles not featured in the table.
Looking for a different vehicle? That’s no problem! Enter your zip code at the bottom of the table above and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free car insurance quotes from top-rated companies in Texas.
Cheapest SUV insurance rates in Austin, TX
Taking the top spot in Austin for cheapest insurance in the non-luxury SUV segment is the Chevrolet Trailblazer, coming in at $1,180 per year. Second place is the Subaru Crosstrek costing $1,190 per year, and the third cheapest is the Nissan Kicks, costing an average of $1,196 per year.
Not the cheapest in the list, but still ranking well, are models like the Buick Encore, Mazda CX-5, Buick Envision, and Kia Seltos, with average annual insurance rates of $1,270 per year or less.
Additional SUVs worth mentioning include the Chevrolet Trax, Mazda CX-30, Subaru Forester, Hyundai Kona, and Ford Explorer, which cost between $1,270 and $1,340 per year for full-coverage insurance.
Auto insurance rates in this segment for a safe driver starts at around $98 per month, depending on the company. The rate comparison table below ranks the twenty SUVs with the most affordable average auto insurance rates in Austin.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Nissan Rogue Sport||Compact||$1,216||$101|
See our guides for compact SUV insurance, midsize SUV insurance, and full-size SUV insurance to compare rates for all makes and models.
Don’t see your SUV in the table above? Enter your zip code at the bottom of the above table and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free Austin car insurance quotes from top auto insurance companies in Texas.
Cheapest sports car insurance rates in Austin
Taking the top spot in Austin for cheapest average insurance in the sports car segment is the Mazda MX-5 Miata, costing an average of $1,440 per year. Second place is the Audi TT costing $1,616 per year, and in third place is the Ford Mustang, at an average of $1,688 per year.
Other models that rank well include the BMW M2, Nissan Z, Subaru BRZ, and Toyota GR86, with average cost of $1,878 per year or less.
Additional cars that rank well include the Chevrolet Camaro, Porsche Taycan, BMW M4, Chevrolet Corvette, and Mercedes-Benz AMG GT53, which average between $1,878 and $2,342 per year to insure in Austin.
Auto insurance in Austin for this segment can cost as low as $120 per month, depending on where you live and the company you use. The comparison table below ranks the sports cars with the lowest-cost car insurance in Austin, starting with the Mazda MX-5 Miata at $120 per month and ending with the Lexus LC 500 at $195 per month.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Type||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Mazda MX-5 Miata||Sports Car||$1,440||$120|
|Audi TT||Sports Car||$1,616||$135|
|Ford Mustang||Sports Car||$1,688||$141|
|BMW Z4||Sports Car||$1,702||$142|
|Subaru WRX||Sports Car||$1,720||$143|
|Nissan Z||Sports Car||$1,746||$146|
|Toyota GR Supra||Sports Car||$1,776||$148|
|Toyota GR86||Sports Car||$1,800||$150|
|BMW M2||Sports Car||$1,802||$150|
|Subaru BRZ||Sports Car||$1,878||$157|
|Chevrolet Corvette||Sports Car||$1,922||$160|
|BMW M3||Sports Car||$1,964||$164|
|Lexus RC F||Sports Car||$2,006||$167|
|Porsche 718||Sports Car||$2,006||$167|
|Chevrolet Camaro||Sports Car||$2,038||$170|
|Mercedes-Benz AMG GT53||Sports Car||$2,164||$180|
|Jaguar F-Type||Sports Car||$2,238||$187|
|Porsche Taycan||Sports Car||$2,286||$191|
|BMW M4||Sports Car||$2,314||$193|
|Lexus LC 500||Sports Car||$2,342||$195|
Need rates for a different vehicle? Enter your zip code at the bottom of the above table and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free car insurance quotes from the best companies in Austin.
Cheapest pickup truck insurance rates in Austin
The Ford Maverick takes the #1 ranking as the most affordable pickup truck to insure in Austin, followed by the Chevrolet Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger, and GMC Canyon. The 2023 model costs an average of $1,294 per year to insure with full coverage.
Not the cheapest, but still very affordable, are pickups like the Hyundai Santa Cruz, Ford F150, Honda Ridgeline, and Nissan Titan, with an average car insurance cost of $1,586 per year or less.
On a monthly basis, full-coverage insurance on this segment in Austin for a safe driver will start around $108 per month, depending on your company and location.
The rate comparison table below ranks the twenty pickups with the cheapest average insurance rates in Austin, starting with the Ford Maverick at $108 per month and ending with the Nissan Titan XD at $145 per month.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Hyundai Santa Cruz||Midsize||$1,448||$121|
|GMC Sierra 2500 HD||Heavy Duty||$1,596||$133|
|GMC Sierra 3500||Heavy Duty||$1,646||$137|
|Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500||Heavy Duty||$1,710||$143|
|Chevrolet Silverado HD 3500||Heavy Duty||$1,712||$143|
|Nissan Titan XD||Heavy Duty||$1,740||$145|
See our comprehensive guides for midsize pickup insurance and large pickup insurance to view data for pickups not featured in the table.
Don’t see rates for your pickup? No sweat! Enter your zip code at the bottom of the above table and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free Austin car insurance quotes from top-rated companies in Texas.
Cheapest luxury car insurance rates in Austin, Texas
The top three luxury cars with the cheapest auto insurance rates in Austin are the Acura Integra at $1,400 per year, the BMW 330i at $1,582 per year, and the Acura TLX at $1,608 per year.
Some other luxury cars that have cheaper rates are the Lexus ES 350, Lexus ES 250, BMW 330e, and BMW 228i, with an average car insurance cost of $1,694 per year or less.
Full-coverage auto insurance in Austin for this segment for the average driver starts at around $117 per month, depending on your location and insurance company.
When prices are compared by vehicle size, the most affordable small luxury car to insure in Austin is the Acura Integra at $1,400 per year. For midsize luxury models, the Cadillac CT5 has the best rates at $1,676 per year. And for large luxury car models, the Audi A5 has the most affordable rates at $1,750 per year.
The table below ranks the luxury cars with the lowest-cost insurance in Austin.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Lexus ES 350||Midsize||$1,680||$140|
|Lexus ES 250||Midsize||$1,690||$141|
|Lexus RC 300||Midsize||$1,696||$141|
|Mercedes-Benz AMG CLA35||Midsize||$1,700||$142|
|Lexus RC 350||Compact||$1,730||$144|
|Mercedes-Benz AMG CLA45||Midsize||$1,740||$145|
See our guide for luxury car insurance to compare rates for all makes and models.
Don’t see rates for your luxury car? Enter your zip code at the bottom of the table above and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free Austin car insurance quotes from top companies in Texas.
Cheapest luxury SUVs to insure in Austin, TX
Ranking highest for the lowest-cost Austin car insurance rates in the luxury SUV segment are the Cadillac XT4, Volvo XC40, Acura RDX, Infiniti QX50, and Lexus RX 350. Auto insurance quotes for these 2023 models average $1,444 or less per year, or around $120 per month.
Additional luxury SUVs that have cheaper rates are the Cadillac XT6, Cadillac XT5, Mercedes-Benz GLB 250, and Lexus UX 250h, with average rates of $1,518 per year or less.
Some additional models that made the list include the Mercedes-Benz GLC300, Alfa Romeo Tonale, Acura MDX, Lexus NX 350h, and Lincoln Nautilus, which cost between $1,518 and $1,588 per year for insurance in Austin.
Auto insurance rates in this segment for the average driver starts at around $109 per month, depending on the company.
The most affordable small luxury SUV to insure in Austin is the Acura RDX at $1,302 per year. For midsize luxury SUVs, the Lexus RX 350 has the best rates at $1,396 per year. And for large luxury SUVs, the Volvo XC90 has the most affordable rates at $1,608 per year.
The comparison table below ranks the twenty SUVs with the cheapest car insurance rates in Austin, starting with the Acura RDX at $109 per month and ending with the Mercedes-Benz GLC300 at $132 per month.
|Make/Model||Vehicle Size||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
|Lexus RX 350||Midsize||$1,396||$116|
|Lexus UX 250h||Compact||$1,458||$122|
|Mercedes-Benz GLB 250||Compact||$1,518||$127|
|Lexus NX 250||Compact||$1,538||$128|
|Lexus NX 350h||Compact||$1,554||$130|
|Lexus NX 350||Compact||$1,566||$131|
|Lexus NX 450h||Compact||$1,568||$131|
|Alfa Romeo Tonale||Compact||$1,582||$132|
See our comprehensive guide for luxury SUV insurance to view data for vehicles not featured in the table.
Don’t see rates for your luxury SUV? Enter your zip code at the bottom of the table and click the orange ‘GO’ button to get free Austin car insurance quotes from top-rated auto insurance companies in Texas.
Tips for saving money on Austin auto insurance
Smart drivers in Austin should always be thinking of ways to save money on insurance So read through the savings tips below and maybe you’ll find a way to save some money.
- If your car is older, remove unneeded coverages. Dropping full coverage from older vehicles can cut the cost of car insurance significantly.
- Being a good driver saves money. Too frequent at-fault accidents can raise rates, potentially up to $726 per year for a 30-year-old driver and as much as $502 per year for a 50-year-old driver. So drive safe and save money!
- Raising deductibles results in a cheaper policy. Jacking up your deductibles from $500 to $1,000 could save around $276 per year for a 40-year-old driver and $538 per year for a 20-year-old driver.
- Remain claim free. Most insurers offer discounts if you have not filed any claims. Insurance should be used for significant claims, not for minor claims that can easily be paid out-of-pocket.
- Buy vehicles with low cost insurance rates. Vehicle performance is a big factor in the price you pay for auto insurance. For example, a Volvo XC40 costs $602 less per year to insure in Austin than a Chevrolet Camaro. Drive cheaper models and save money.
- Get cheaper rates by researching policy discounts. Savings may be available if the policyholders work in certain occupations, are homeowners, choose electronic billing, are claim-free, take a defensive driving course, or many other policy discounts which could save the average Austin driver as much as $260 per year.
- Raise your credit score for cheaper insurance rates. Having a high credit rating of over 800 could save a minimum of $244 per year compared to a lower credit score of 670-739. Conversely, a lower credit rating could cost as much as $283 more per year. Not all states use credit score as a rating factor, so check with your agent or company.