- The average cost of full-coverage car insurance in Texas is around $1,436 per year, which is the equivalent of $120 per month.
- Cheaper vehicles to insure in Texas include models like the Subaru Crosstrek, the Honda Passport, the Mazda CX-5, and the Chevrolet Colorado.
- Where you live in Texas can affect rates significantly. For example, average rates in Austin are $1,386 while in Houston they are $1,618.
How much does car insurance cost in Texas?
Average car insurance cost in Texas is $1,436 per year, which is 7.4% less than the national average rate of $1,551. The average cost of car insurance in Texas per month is $120.
Car insurance cost for some of the more popular cars and trucks in Texas include the Toyota Camry at an average of $1,412 per year, the Ford F150 at $1,388, the Nissan Altima at $1,606, and the Chevrolet Silverado at $1,542 per year.
Other popular vehicles and their average car insurance rates include the Toyota Corolla at $1,412 per year, the Honda Accord at $1,500, the Honda Civic at $1,422, and the Nissan Sentra with an average cost of $1,400 per year.
The next chart shows average car insurance cost in Texas for different driver ages and policy deductible levels. Rates are based on the average for all 2021 vehicle models.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
The average cost of car insurance in Texas in the chart above ranges from $1,086 per year for a 60-year-old driver with a high deductible policy to $3,300 per year for a 20-year-old driver with low policy deductibles. As a monthly expense, the average cost of car insurance per month in Texas ranges from $91 to $275 for those same drivers.
Teen driver car insurance rates in Texas will be the highest of any age group due to their inexperience and higher frequency of accidents. Average insurance rates for 16 to 19-year-olds ranges from $3,604 per year for a 19-year-old female driver up to $5,140 per year for a 16-year-old male driver.
Which vehicles have cheap car insurance in Texas?
As a segment, compact SUVs tend to have the overall cheapest car insurance in Texas. The Mazda CX-5, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Nissan Kicks, and Toyota C-HR all have cheap insurance rates.
Texas drivers like their full-size pickup trucks, and the Ford F150, GMC Sierra, and Nissan Titan are the cheapest to insure in Texas. Average insurance rates for those three trucks are $1,388, $1,464, and $1,516 per year, respectively.
Other models that rank well for car insurance cost in Texas include the Nissan Rogue Sport at an average annual cost of $1,196, the Hyundai Venue at $1,220, and the Buick Envision at $1,220 per year.
The most popular car in Texas, the Toyota Camry, doesn’t fare as well as some of the other vehicles, as the cost to insure a Camry in Texas costs an average of $1,412 per year, or around $118 per month.
The table below includes the top 100 cheapest vehicles to insure in the state of Texas. The list was created from all vehicle segments, including compact, midsize, and full-size cars, trucks, and SUVs, including luxury models.
Car insurance rates for select Texas cities
Annual and monthly average rates are shown in the list below for some of the larger cities in Texas. Click on any city to view a dedicated page that details not only average rates, but also the vehicles with the cheapest car insurance rates overall.
- Houston Car Insurance - $1,618 per year or $135 per month
- San Antonio Car Insurance - $1,458 per year or $122 per month
- Dallas Car Insurance - $1,626 per year or $136 per month
- Austin Car Insurance - $1,386 per year or $116 per month
- Fort Worth Car Insurance - $1,406 per year or $117 per month
- El Paso Car Insurance - $1,404 per year or $117 per month
- Arlington Car Insurance - $1,462 per year or $122 per month