- West Virginia car insurance cost averages $1,572 per year for full coverage, or around $131 on a monthly basis.
- West Virginia ranks fourth for cheapest car insurance cost in the Southeast and ranks 21st out of all 50 states.
- Drivers looking for the cheapest West Virginia car insurance should focus on small and midsize SUVs like the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Subaru Crosstrek, and Honda Passport.
How much does West Virginia car insurance cost?
The average cost of car insurance in West Virginia is $1,572 per year, which is 6.7% less than the U.S. overall average rate of $1,685 per year. Car insurance cost per month in West Virginia averages $131 for a full coverage policy.
The chart below shows average car insurance rates in West Virginia for drivers age 20 to 60 and policy deductibles ranging from $250 to $1,000. Rates are averaged for all 2023 models.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Average car insurance rates in the chart range from $1,190 per year for a high deductible policy for a 60-year-old driver to $3,634 per year for a 20-year-old driver with a low physical damage deductible policy.
When these rates are converted to a cost per month, the average cost of car insurance per month in West Virginia ranges from $99 to $303.
What about drivers younger than age 20?
Out of all driver age groups, teenagers have the highest average car insurance cost. Average quotes in West Virginia range from $3,964 per year for a 19-year-old female driver up to $5,632 per year for a 16-year-old male driver.
For 17-year-old drivers, average car insurance rates in West Virginia will cost $4,680 to $5,268 per year, while 18-year-olds will range from $4,270 to $4,922 per year.
Does cost vary depending on the vehicle being insured?
The make and model of the vehicle being insured makes a big difference in the cost of insurance. The chart below shows average auto insurance rates in West Virginia for 20 of the most popular vehicles sold in the state.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Hyundai Santa Fe||$1,612||$134|
Is car insurance expensive in West Virginia?
West Virginia ranks fourth in the U.S. Southeast region for cheapest car insurance quotes. When compared to surrounding states, West Virginia car insurance costs 33.9% more than Virginia, 4% less than Maryland, 27.8% more than Ohio, and 16.7% less than Kentucky.
The chart below compares average West Virginia car insurance rates to all other states in the Southeast region. West Virginia is highlighted in dark blue ranked in fourth place.
|Southeast Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
When compared to states outside the Southeast region, the average cost of auto insurance in West Virginia is 2.8% cheaper than Arizona, 23% cheaper than New York, 26.3% cheaper than California, 4% cheaper than Texas, and 4.6% cheaper than than Oregon.
West Virginia ranks 21st out of all 50 U.S. states for car insurance affordability. The neighboring states of Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, and Pennsylvania rank seventh, 36th, third, and 30th, respectively.
Car insurance cost by automotive segment
The chart below shows average car insurance cost in West Virginia for each of the different automotive segments. Small and midsize SUVs, minivans, midsize pickup trucks, and non-luxury compact and midsize cars will generally tend to have cheaper overall car insurance quotes than other types of vehicles.
|Vehicle Segment||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Compact Luxury SUV||$1,700||$142|
|Compact Luxury Car||$1,732||$144|
|Heavy Duty Pickup||$1,808||$151|
|Midsize Luxury SUV||$1,828||$152|
|Midsize Luxury Car||$2,000||$167|
|Large Luxury SUV||$2,312||$193|
|Large Luxury Car||$2,428||$202|
If having the cheapest car insurance cost is a priority when shopping for a new or used vehicle, then the data in the chart above can help point you in the right direction as far as the type of vehicles to consider.
It’s important to note, however, that the actual insurance cost for individual models within each segment can vary widely. So as you begin to refine your search to specific models, it’s always smart to get car insurance quotes not only for a specific model, but also for the specific trim level you’re considering.
What is the cheapest car insurance in West Virginia?
The Chevrolet Trailblazer at $1,190 per year, Honda Passport at $1,222 per year, Subaru Impreza at $1,302 per year, and Ford Maverick at $1,306 per year are some of the cheapest vehicles to insure in their respective segments.
Other models with the cheapest rates in their segments include the Subaru Legacy at $1,450 per year, the Chrysler 300 at $1,534 per year, the Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,474 per year, and the Nissan Titan at $1,554 per year.
For luxury cars, the cheapest car insurance rates for compact, midsize, and full-size models are on the Acura Integra at $1,412 per year, the Cadillac CT5 at $1,690 per year, and the Audi A5 at $1,766 per year.
Compact, midsize, and large luxury SUVs with the cheapest insurance rates include the Acura RDX at $1,312 per year, the Lexus RX 350 at $1,406 per year, and the Volvo XC90 at $1,622 per year.
The table below takes all 2023 model year vehicles and ranks the 50 vehicles with the cheapest car insurance quotes in West Virginia. Both annual and monthly cost is included and models are ranked from cheapest to most expensive average car insurance cost.
The table above of the 50 cheapest vehicles to insure in West Virginia tends to pull in a lot of compact and mid-size sedans and SUVs, which do tend to have some of the best average car insurance rates due to low sticker prices and good safety features.
But a lot of people want to know what the cheapest model to insure in each segment is. We already touched on some of them in the first two paragraphs of this section, but here’s the full list of cheapest models by segment and their annual and monthly average car insurance cost in West Virginia.
- Cheapest compact car insurance – Subaru Impreza at $1,302 per year or $109 per month
- Cheapest compact SUV insurance – Chevrolet Trailblazer at $1,190 per year or $99 per month
- Cheapest midsize car insurance – Subaru Legacy at $1,450 per year or $121 per month
- Cheapest midsize SUV insurance – Honda Passport at $1,222 per year or $102 per month
- Cheapest full-size car insurance – Chrysler 300 at $1,534 per year or $128 per month
- Cheapest full-size SUV insurance – Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,474 per year or $123 per month
- Cheapest midsize pickup insurance – Ford Maverick at $1,306 per year or $109 per month
- Cheapest full-size pickup insurance – Nissan Titan at $1,554 per year or $130 per month
- Cheapest heavy duty pickup insurance – GMC Sierra 2500 HD at $1,612 per year or $134 per month
- Cheapest minivan insurance – Honda Odyssey at $1,436 per year or $120 per month
- Cheapest sports car insurance – Mazda MX-5 Miata at $1,454 per year or $121 per month
- Cheapest compact luxury car insurance – Acura Integra at $1,412 per year or $118 per month
- Cheapest compact luxury SUV insurance – Acura RDX at $1,312 per year or $109 per month
- Cheapest midsize luxury car insurance – Cadillac CT5 at $1,690 per year or $141 per month
- Cheapest midsize luxury SUV insurance – Lexus RX 350 at $1,406 per year or $117 per month
- Cheapest full-size luxury car insurance – Audi A5 at $1,766 per year or $147 per month
- Cheapest full-size luxury SUV insurance – Volvo XC90 at $1,622 per year or $135 per month
West Virginia car insurance rates by city
Listed below are some of the larger cities in the state of West Virginia and the average car insurance costs for each. Visit any page to view additional information, including average rates by automotive segment and the vehicles with cheap car insurance quotes in each city.
- Charleston Car Insurance - $1,612 per year or $134 per month
- Huntington Car Insurance - $1,626 per year or $136 per month
- Parkersburg Car Insurance - $1,600 per year or $133 per month
- Morgantown Car Insurance - $1,550 per year or $129 per month
- Wheeling Car Insurance - $1,566 per year or $131 per month
- Weirton Car Insurance - $1,528 per year or $127 per month
- Fairmont Car Insurance - $1,536 per year or $128 per month