- The average cost of car insurance in Wyoming is $1,604 per year, or about $134 per month for full coverage.
- When compared to nearby states, Wyoming ranks fifth out of 11 states for overall car insurance affordability.
- Wyoming ranks 20th out of all 50 U.S. states for cheapest car insurance cost, with compact SUV models generally having the best rates.
How much does car insurance cost in Wyoming?
The average cost of car insurance in Wyoming is $1,604 per year, which is 7.4% less expensive than the average rate of $1,728 per year for all 50 states.
The chart below shows the average cost of car insurance in Wyoming when broken out for drivers aged 20 to 60 and policy deductibles of $250, $500, and $1,000. Rates are averaged for all 2023 models, with the 40-year-old driver with $500 deductibles serving as our overall average rate.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
There are many factors that determine the rate you’ll pay in Wyoming for auto insurance. One of the biggest is the actual vehicle you’re insuring.
For a quick example, the list below contains annual and monthly car insurance rate averages for five of the more popular cars, SUVs, and pickups found on the roads of Wyoming. Rates for this example range from as low as $113 per month for the Honda CR-V up to $142 per month for the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- Ford F-150 pickup – $1,630 per year ($136 per month)
- Honda CR-V compact SUV – $1,360 per year ($113 per month)
- Toyota Camry midsize car – $1,526 per year ($127 per month)
- Jeep Grand Cherokee midsize SUV – $1,704 per year ($142 per month)
- Honda Civic compact car – $1,574 per year ($131 per month)
Another big factor that determines the price of car insurance quotes is the age of the driver. Teenage drivers tend to have the most expensive rates, which in Wyoming range from $4,044 per year for a 19-year-old female driver up to $5,748 per year for a 16-year-old male driver.
Some additional factors and situations that can affect car insurance rates in Wyoming include:
- A DUI or other major driving violation could cause car insurance to cost as much as $1,482 more per year for the average driver.
- Even a minor traffic violation like a speeding ticket could increase the annual cost of car insurance in Wyoming by $424 for a 40-year-old driver.
- Earning multiple discounts with your car insurance company could save as much as $498 per year. These discounts include things like multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe driver, claim-free, customer loyalty, and others.
- Bundling your auto and homeowners insurance with the same company could save an average of $206 per year.
- Causing an at-fault accident could cause your rates to jump by as much as $662 each year.
Later in this article we will go into much more detail on model-specific car insurance rates, but first, lets see how Wyoming car insurance rates compare to other nearby states as well as states in other parts of the U.S.
Is car insurance in Wyoming expensive?
Overall, car insurance in Wyoming is pretty affordable. Wyoming ranks decently at 20th out of all 50 U.S. states, with an average annual cost of $1,604 per year.
When compared to surrounding states, Wyoming car insurance rates are 18.4% cheaper than Colorado, 5.9% more expensive than Nebraska, 14.4% cheaper than South Dakota, 3.2% cheaper than Montana, 21.2% more expensive than Idaho, and 1.3% more expensive than Utah.
The chart below ranks all states in the U.S. West region for car insurance affordability, with Wyoming ranking fifth out of 11 states and highlighted in dark blue.
|West Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
When average Wyoming auto insurance rates are compared to states outside the West region, Wyoming is 3.2% cheaper than Arizona, 1.1% more expensive than Illinois, 32.5% cheaper than Florida, 26% cheaper than New York, and 4.4% cheaper than Texas.
Here’s another example that compares average car insurance quotes for a Honda Civic in Wyoming compared to other neighboring U.S. states. Instead of percentages, each comparison shows the annual dollar amount difference between Wyoming and each other state.
As our baseline, average car insurance cost on a 2023 Honda Civic in Wyoming is $1,574 per year. When compared to other nearby states, insuring the same vehicle is:
- $48 per year cheaper than in Montana ($1,622)
- $24 per year more expensive than in Utah ($1,550)
- $532 per year cheaper than in Nevada ($2,106)
- $554 per year cheaper than in California ($2,128)
- $314 per year cheaper than in Colorado ($1,888
What type of vehicle is cheapest to insure?
In Wyoming, as with other states, the cheapest car insurance quotes are usually found on small and midsize SUVs, midsize pickups, and minivans.
Specific examples of vehicles that have affordable rates are the Nissan Kicks, Mazda CX-5, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Subaru Crosstrek, and Honda Passport.
The chart below summarizes annual car insurance cost in Wyoming for each vehicle segment. Rates range from just over $1,400 per year for small SUVs up to over $2,100 per year for full-size luxury models and sports cars.
|Vehicle Segment||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Compact Luxury SUV||$1,736||$145|
|Compact Luxury Car||$1,766||$147|
|Heavy Duty Pickup||$1,844||$154|
|Midsize Luxury SUV||$1,864||$155|
|Midsize Luxury Car||$2,040||$170|
|Large Luxury SUV||$2,358||$197|
|Large Luxury Car||$2,478||$207|
Knowing which type of vehicle has cheap overall car insurance rates is very useful when beginning your search for an affordable vehicle. Rates range considerably within each segment, however, so as you narrow down your choices, the next section may be useful as we break out the cheapest vehicles to insure in the state of Wyoming.
Which vehicles have cheap Wyoming car insurance rates?
If you’re looking for the cheapest overall car insurance cost in Wyoming, the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Subaru Crosstrek, and Nissan Kicks might be your best bets.
If a compact SUV or compact car is not your style, the list below details the specific model with the cheapest average car insurance rates for all vehicle segments.
- Compact car – Subaru Impreza insurance at $1,328 per year or $111 per month
- Compact SUV – Chevrolet Trailblazer insurance at $1,214 per year or $101 per month
- Midsize car – Subaru Legacy insurance at $1,478 per year or $123 per month
- Midsize SUV – Honda Passport insurance at $1,246 per year or $104 per month
- Full-size car – Chrysler 300 insurance at $1,566 per year or $131 per month
- Full-size SUV – Chevrolet Tahoe insurance at $1,504 per year or $125 per month
- Midsize pickup – Ford Maverick insurance at $1,332 per year or $111 per month
- Full-size pickup – Nissan Titan insurance at $1,588 per year or $132 per month
- Heavy duty pickup – GMC Sierra 2500 HD insurance at $1,644 per year or $137 per month
- Minivan – Honda Odyssey insurance at $1,466 per year or $122 per month
- Sports car insurance – Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance at $1,482 per year or $124 per month
- Compact luxury car insurance – Acura Integra insurance at $1,440 per year or $120 per month
- Compact luxury SUV – Acura RDX insurance at $1,342 per year or $112 per month
- Midsize luxury car – Cadillac CT5 insurance at $1,726 per year or $144 per month
- Midsize luxury SUV – Lexus RX 350 insurance at $1,436 per year or $120 per month
- Full-size luxury car – Audi A5 insurance at $1,802 per year or $150 per month
- Full-size luxury SUV – Volvo XC90 insurance at $1,656 per year or $138 per month
The table below ranks the top 50 vehicles with the cheapest Wyoming car insurance rates for the 2023 model year. Each model is linked to a more detailed page where you can find average rates for different model years and trim levels for each vehicle.
Wyoming car insurance rates for popular vehicles
Many of the most popular vehicles driving in Wyoming are not the cheapest to insure, and therefore do not show up in the previous tables and charts.
The chart below shows average car insurance rates in Wyoming for 20 of the most popular vehicles in the state. Rates are sorted from more affordable to most expensive, and clicking the table icon below the chart also shows the average monthly car insurance cost for each model.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Hyundai Santa Fe||$1,646||$137|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee||$1,704||$142|
Wyoming car insurance cost by city
Shown below are some of the larger cities in Wyoming and the average car insurance rates for each. Visit any page to view additional rate information, including average cost by automotive segment, rates for different driver ages and risk profiles, and the vehicles with cheap car insurance quotes in each city.
- Cheyenne Car Insurance - $1,596 per year or $133 per month
- Casper Car Insurance - $1,596 per year or $133 per month
- Laramie Car Insurance - $1,604 per year or $134 per month
- Gillette Car Insurance - $1,666 per year or $139 per month
- Rock Springs Car Insurance - $1,636 per year or $136 per month
- Sheridan Car Insurance - $1,566 per year or $131 per month
- Green River Car Insurance - $1,626 per year or $136 per month