- Average Indiana car insurance cost is $1,138 per year for a full coverage policy. Average cost per month is $95.
- Indiana ranks fourth out of 12 Midwestern states for cheapest car insurance and ranks #10 out of all 50 states.
- The vehicle segments with the cheapest insurance in Indiana are compact SUVs, vans, and midsize SUVs and pickups.
- Average rates for popular models range from $996 per year for the Honda CR-V to $1,202 per year for the Ford Mustang.
What is average car insurance cost in Indiana?
Average car insurance rates in Indiana cost $1,138 per year, or around $95 per month. When compared to the national average rate, Indiana car insurance cost is 26.6% cheaper per year.
Some of the more popular vehicles and their average insurance rates include the Jeep Grand Cherokee at an average of $1,256 per year, the Ford Explorer at $1,070, the Mazda CX-5 at $864, the Chevrolet Equinox at $1,062, and the Ford Escape at $1,118 per year.
Luxury models like the Lexus NX 300, the Volvo S60, and the Lexus GX 460 cost an average of $1,144, $1,188, and $1,286 per year, respectively, for full-coverage car insurance in Indiana.
For larger SUVs and pickups, average rates on the most popular models include the Ford F-150 at an average cost of $1,076 per year, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 at $1,194 per year, the Ram 1500 at $1,272 per year, the Chevrolet Suburban at $1,150 per year, and the Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,114 per year.
The chart below shows the cost of car insurance in Indiana averaged across all models for the 2022 model year.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Average rates in the chart above range from $862 per year for a 60-year-old driver with $1,000 deductibles to $2,616 per year for a 20-year-old driver with $250 deductibles. The overall average rate we use for comparison purposes is a 40-year-old driver with $500 deductibles which has an average cost of $1,138 per year.
As a monthly cost, car insurance quotes in Indiana range from $72 to $218 for the same risk profiles and driver ages shown in the previous chart.
Car insurance cost is dependent on many factors, and the list below shows some situations where rates may deviate from the average cost.
- Having an at-fault accident could trigger a rate increase of up to $464 each year, depending on the company.
- The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a big difference in the cost of insurance. For example, insuring a Toyota Tacoma instead of a Chevy Silverado 2500HD can save $300 or more per year on auto insurance.
- Avoiding serious traffic violations is the best way to get cheap rates, as getting a DUI or other serious conviction can raise rates by $1,042 or more per year.
- Even small traffic violations can result in significant increases in car insurance cost. Just one speeding ticket could increase the annual cost of car insurance in Indiana by $296, depending on the company and the vehicle insured.
- Qualifying for as many discounts as possible is a great way to find cheaper car insurance. Discounts like safe driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and customer loyalty could save as much as $356 per year.
How does Indiana car insurance cost compare?
When compared to surrounding states, average Indiana car insurance quotes are 28.2% more expensive than Ohio, 35.8% cheaper than Kentucky, 53.1% cheaper than Michigan, 9.8% cheaper than Wisconsin, and 7.6% cheaper than Illinois.
The chart below shows how average car insurance cost in Indiana compares to other Midwest states. Indiana ranks fourth in the Midwest, with only Iowa, Ohio, and Wisconsin having cheaper rates. Out of all 50 states, Indiana ranks tenth for cheapest auto insurance rates.
|Midwest Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
When compared to states in other parts of the country, the average cost of car insurance in Indiana is 20.8% cheaper than Texas, 34.8% cheaper than California, 29.8% cheaper than New York, 8% more expensive than Maine, and 17.8% more expensive than North Carolina.
Here’s an example using dollar figures instead of percentages to illustrate how Indiana car insurance compares to other Midwest states.
We will use a 2022 Chevrolet Silverado as the rated vehicles for this example, which in Indiana costs $1,194 per year to insure on average. When compared to other states in the Midwest region, car insurance in Indiana is:
- $514 per year cheaper than insuring the same vehicle in Missouri ($1,698)
- $216 per year cheaper than in Minnesota ($1,408)
- $42 per year more expensive than in Iowa ($1,158)
- $422 per year cheaper than in Kansas ($1,608)
- $340 per year cheaper than in Nebraska ($1,530)
What are the cheapest cars to insure in Indiana?
When comparing all types of vehicles, the models with the most affordable car insurance quotes in Indiana tend to be small SUVs like the Mazda CX-5, Nissan Kicks, and Nissan Rogue Sport.
Average insurance prices for those crossover SUVs cost $950 or less per year for a policy with full coverage.
Additional vehicles that rank in the top 20 in our cost comparison are the Mazda MX-5 Miata, Acura RDX, Hyundai Kona, and Toyota Corolla Cross.
The average insurance cost is a little bit more for those models than the cheapest compact SUVs and crossovers at the top of the list, but they still have an average insurance cost of $986 or less per year ($82 per month) in Indiana.
For luxury cars, lower-cost insurance rates in Indiana can be found on models like the Mercedes-Benz A220 at $1,090 per year, the Acura ILX at $1,020 per year, and the Volvo S90 at $1,434 per year.
The next table ranks the top 50 vehicles from the 2022 model year with the cheapest car insurance in Indiana.
Cheapest car insurance by vehicle segment
The previous table ranking the top 50 cheapest vehicles to insure in Indiana tends to show a lot of compact and mid-size cars and SUVs, which by nature are the most affordable segments for car insurance.
The list below shows the vehicle model with the cheapest average insurance rate in each segment. Some models are shown in the prior top 50 rankings, but most are not.
- Compact car – Subaru Impreza insurance at $988 per year or $82 per month
- Compact SUV – Mazda CX-5 insurance at $864 per year or $72 per month
- Midsize car – Subaru Legacy insurance at $1,104 per year or $92 per month
- Midsize SUV – Honda Passport insurance at $912 per year or $76 per month
- Full-size car – Toyota Avalon insurance at $1,196 per year or $100 per month
- Full-size SUV – Chevrolet Tahoe insurance at $1,142 per year or $95 per month
- Midsize pickup – Chevrolet Colorado insurance at $936 per year or $78 per month
- Full-size pickup – Ford F150 insurance at $1,100 per year or $92 per month
- Heavy duty pickup – Ford F350 Super Duty insurance at $1,234 per year or $103 per month
- Minivan – Honda Odyssey insurance at $1,062 per year or $89 per month
- Sports car insurance – Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance at $986 per year or $82 per month
- Compact luxury car insurance – Mercedes-Benz A220 insurance at $1,118 per year or $93 per month
- Compact luxury SUV – Acura RDX insurance at $974 per year or $81 per month
- Midsize luxury car – Acura ILX insurance at $1,048 per year or $87 per month
- Midsize luxury SUV – Cadillac XT5 insurance at $1,120 per year or $93 per month
- Full-size luxury car – Audi A5 insurance at $1,336 per year or $111 per month
- Full-size luxury SUV – Volvo XC90 insurance at $1,230 per year or $103 per month
Average car insurance rates for popular Indiana vehicles
Many of the most popular vehicles sold in Indiana do not have the cheapest insurance rates. For this reason, the next chart takes the average car insurance cost for 25 of the most popular models and sorts them by cost. Only the first 8 models in the chart below made the prior list of the 50 cheapest autos to insure in Indiana.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Hyundai Santa Fe||$1,158||$97|
Average rates in Indiana cities
Average annual and monthly car insurance rates are listed below for some of the larger cities in the state of Indiana. Click any city to view detailed insurance rate information, including cost comparisons and the cheapest vehicles to insure in each city.
- Indianapolis Car Insurance - $1,534 per year or $128 per month
- Fort Wayne Car Insurance - $1,116 per year or $93 per month
- Evansville Car Insurance - $1,186 per year or $99 per month
- South Bend Car Insurance - $1,102 per year or $92 per month
- Hammond Car Insurance - $1,430 per year or $119 per month
- Bloomington Car Insurance - $1,154 per year or $96 per month
- Gary Car Insurance - $1,546 per year or $129 per month