- Average Indiana car insurance cost is $1,356 per year for a full coverage policy. Average cost per month is $113.
- Indiana ranks fourth out of 12 Midwestern states for cheapest car insurance and ranks 11th out of all 50 states.
- The vehicle segments with the cheapest insurance in Indiana are compact and midsize SUVs and compact pickups.
- Average rates for popular models vary from $1,034 for a Subaru Crosstrek to $1,468 for the Ford Mustang.
What is average car insurance cost in Indiana?
Average car insurance rates in Indiana cost $1,356 per year, or around $113 per month. When compared to the national average rate, Indiana car insurance cost is 24.1% less per year.
Some of the more popular vehicles and their average insurance rates include the Jeep Grand Cherokee at an average of $1,440 per year, the Ford Explorer at $1,154, the Mazda CX-5 at $1,064, the Chevrolet Equinox at $1,220, and the Ford Escape at $1,242 per year.
Luxury models like the Lexus NX 300, the Volvo S60, and the Lexus GX 460 cost an average of $1,284, $1,448, and $1,378 per year, respectively, for full-coverage car insurance in Indiana.
For larger SUVs and pickups, average rates on the most popular models include the Ford F-150 at an average cost of $1,318 per year, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 at $1,426 per year, the Ram 1500 at $1,422 per year, the Chevrolet Suburban at $1,286 per year, and the Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,216 per year.
The chart below shows the cost of car insurance in Indiana averaged across all models for the 2023 model year.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Average rates in the chart above range from $1,024 per year for a 60-year-old driver with $1,000 deductibles to $3,130 per year for a 20-year-old driver with $250 deductibles. The overall average rate we use for comparison purposes is a 40-year-old driver with $500 deductibles which has an average cost of $1,356 per year.
As a monthly cost, car insurance quotes in Indiana range from $85 to $261 for the same risk profiles and driver ages shown in the previous chart.
Car insurance cost is dependent on many factors, and the list below shows some situations where rates may deviate from the average cost.
- Having an at-fault accident could trigger a rate increase of up to $554 each year, depending on the company.
- The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a big difference in the cost of insurance. For example, insuring a Toyota Tacoma instead of a Chevy Silverado 2500HD can save $248 or more per year on auto insurance.
- Avoiding serious traffic violations is the best way to get cheap rates, as getting a DUI or other serious conviction can raise rates by $1,248 or more per year.
- Even small traffic violations can result in significant increases in car insurance cost. Just one speeding ticket could increase the annual cost of car insurance in Indiana by $356, depending on the company and the vehicle insured.
- Qualifying for as many discounts as possible is a great way to find cheaper car insurance. Discounts like safe driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and customer loyalty could save as much as $422 per year.
How does Indiana car insurance cost compare?
When compared to surrounding states, average Indiana car insurance quotes are 6.7% more expensive than Ohio, 34.8% cheaper than Kentucky, 57% cheaper than Michigan, 4.4% more expensive than Wisconsin, and 15.6% cheaper than Illinois.
The chart below shows how average car insurance cost in Indiana compares to other Midwest states. Indiana ranks fourth in the Midwest. Out of all 50 states, Indiana ranks 11th for cheapest auto insurance rates.
|Midwest Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
When compared to states in other parts of the country, the average cost of car insurance in Indiana is 21.1% cheaper than Texas, 46.3% cheaper than California, 42.3% cheaper than New York, 20.8% more expensive than Maine, and 17.1% more expensive than North Carolina.
Here’s an example using dollar figures instead of percentages to illustrate how Indiana car insurance compares to other Midwest states.
We will use a 2023 Chevrolet Silverado as the rated vehicles for this example, which in Indiana costs $1,484 per year to insure on average. When compared to other states in the Midwest region, car insurance in Indiana is:
- $736 per year cheaper than insuring the same vehicle in Missouri ($2,220)
- $216 per year cheaper than in Minnesota ($1,700)
- $150 per year more expensive than in Iowa ($1,334)
- $460 per year cheaper than in Kansas ($1,944)
- $170 per year cheaper than in Nebraska ($1,654)
What are the cheapest cars to insure in Indiana?
When comparing all types of vehicles, the models with the most affordable car insurance quotes in Indiana tend to be small SUVs like the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Subaru Crosstrek, and Buick Envision.
Average insurance prices for those crossover SUVs cost $1,082 or less per year for a policy with full coverage.
Additional vehicles that rank in the top 20 in our cost comparison are the Honda CR-V, Honda HR-V, Hyundai Kona, and Chevrolet Colorado.
The average insurance cost is a little bit more for those models than the cheapest compact SUVs and crossovers at the top of the list, but they still have an average insurance cost of $1,150 or less per year ($96 per month) in Indiana.
For luxury cars, lower-cost insurance rates in Indiana can be found on models like the Acura Integra at $1,218 per year, the BMW 330i at $1,376 per year, and the Acura TLX at $1,400 per year.
The next table ranks the top 50 vehicles from the 2023 model year with the cheapest car insurance in Indiana.
Cheapest car insurance by vehicle segment
The previous table ranking the top 50 cheapest vehicles to insure in Indiana tends to show a lot of compact and mid-size cars and SUVs, which by nature are the most affordable segments for car insurance.
The list below shows the vehicle model with the cheapest average insurance rate in each segment. Some models are shown in the prior top 50 rankings, but most are not.
- Compact car – Subaru Impreza insurance at $1,118 per year or $93 per month
- Compact SUV – Chevrolet Trailblazer insurance at $1,026 per year or $86 per month
- Midsize car – Subaru Legacy insurance at $1,248 per year or $104 per month
- Midsize SUV – Honda Passport insurance at $1,054 per year or $88 per month
- Full-size car – Chrysler 300 insurance at $1,322 per year or $110 per month
- Full-size SUV – Chevrolet Tahoe insurance at $1,272 per year or $106 per month
- Midsize pickup – Ford Maverick insurance at $1,126 per year or $94 per month
- Full-size pickup – Nissan Titan insurance at $1,342 per year or $112 per month
- Heavy duty pickup – GMC Sierra 2500 HD insurance at $1,388 per year or $116 per month
- Minivan – Honda Odyssey insurance at $1,238 per year or $103 per month
- Sports car insurance – Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance at $1,252 per year or $104 per month
- Compact luxury car insurance – Acura Integra insurance at $1,218 per year or $102 per month
- Compact luxury SUV – Acura RDX insurance at $1,130 per year or $94 per month
- Midsize luxury car – Cadillac CT5 insurance at $1,456 per year or $121 per month
- Midsize luxury SUV – Lexus RX 350 insurance at $1,212 per year or $101 per month
- Full-size luxury car – Audi A5 insurance at $1,520 per year or $127 per month
- Full-size luxury SUV – Volvo XC90 insurance at $1,398 per year or $117 per month
Average car insurance rates for popular Indiana vehicles
Many of the most popular vehicles sold in Indiana do not have the cheapest insurance rates. For this reason, the next chart takes the average car insurance cost for 25 of the most popular models and sorts them by cost.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Hyundai Santa Fe||$1,390||$116|
Average rates in Indiana cities
Average annual and monthly car insurance rates are listed below for some of the larger cities in the state of Indiana. Click any city to view detailed insurance rate information, including cost comparisons and the cheapest vehicles to insure in each city.
- Indianapolis Car Insurance - $1,458 per year or $122 per month
- Fort Wayne Car Insurance - $1,318 per year or $110 per month
- Evansville Car Insurance - $1,390 per year or $116 per month
- South Bend Car Insurance - $1,300 per year or $108 per month
- Hammond Car Insurance - $1,644 per year or $137 per month
- Bloomington Car Insurance - $1,354 per year or $113 per month
- Gary Car Insurance - $1,760 per year or $147 per month
- Carmel Car Insurance - $1,280 per year or $107 per month