- Maryland car insurance rates average $1,676 per year for full coverage, or about $140 on a monthly basis.
- Maryland ranks fourth out of 11 Northeastern states for average car insurance cost and ranks 27th out of all 50 U.S. states.
- The cheapest insurance rates in Maryland tends to be found on compact SUVs like the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Nissan Rogue Sport, Subaru Crosstrek, and Mazda CX-5.
- Out of 20 of the most popular vehicles in Maryland, only eight make our list of the top 75 cheapest to insure.
How much does car insurance cost in Maryland?
Average car insurance cost in Maryland is $1,676 per year, or around $140 per month, which is 3.1% less than the national average car insurance rate of $1,728 per year.
Average annual and monthly car insurance quotes in Maryland for five of the most popular vehicles sold in the state include:
- Ford F-150 pickup – $1,706 per year ($142 per month)
- Toyota RAV4 compact SUV – $1,552 per year ($129 per month)
- Honda CR-V compact SUV – $1,422 per year ($119 per month)
- Toyota Camry midsize car – $1,592 per year ($133 per month)
- Ram 1500 pickup – $1,830 per year ($153 per month)
The chart below shows average car insurance rates in Maryland for 2023 model year vehicles and different driver ages and policy deductible amounts.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Average rates in the chart above range from $1,266 per year for a 60-year-old driver with $1,000 deductibles to $3,876 per year for a 20-year-old driver with $250 deductibles. From a monthly standpoint, the same rates range from $106 to $323 per month.
Average rates make some assumptions like the driver is 40 years old, male, and has a clean driving record. Obviously, not every driver is going to fit into that category, so the list below includes some additional situations where rates fall outside the average.
- Not everyone has a spotless driving record, and a major driving conviction like reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, or a DUI could increase rates by $1,544 or more each year.
- Even minor driving citations like speeding tickets could increase the annual cost of auto insurance in Maryland by $442 or more for the average driver.
- Having an at-fault accident on your driving record could cause your rates to increase by as much as $690 each year.
- The insured vehicle has a huge impact on car insurance quotes. For example, insuring a Honda CR-V instead of a Ford Bronco could save as much as $442 per year on your car insurance bill.
How does Maryland car insurance cost compare?
When compared to surrounding states, Maryland car insurance rates are 19.8% cheaper than Delaware, 3.3% cheaper than Pennsylvania, 3.9% more expensive than West Virginia, and 32.3% more expensive than Virginia.
The chart below shows how average auto insurance rates in Maryland compare to other Northeast U.S. states. Maryland ranks fourth for cheapest car insurance rates in the Northeast region, and ranks 27th when compared to all 50 states.
|Northeast Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
When compared to other states outside the Northeast, the average car insurance cost in Maryland is 0.5% cheaper than Oregon, 1.2% more expensive than Montana, 1.2% more expensive than Arizona, 25.8% cheaper than California, and 28.2% cheaper than Florida.
What vehicles have cheap car insurance in Maryland?
Some of the cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland include the Subaru Impreza at $1,388 per year, the Subaru Legacy at $1,544 per year, the Honda Passport at $1,302 per year, and the Chevrolet Trailblazer at $1,268 per year.
Some of the cheapest luxury car insurance rates in Maryland can be found on the Acura Integra at $1,506 per year, the BMW 330i at $1,702 per year, and the Acura TLX at $1,730 per year.
For pickups and large SUVs, the cheapest insurance rates are on the Ford Maverick at $1,392 per year, the Nissan Titan at $1,660 per year, the Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,570, and the Chevrolet Suburban at an average cost of $1,662 per year.
The table below ranks the top 75 cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland from the 2023 model year. Models are chosen from all vehicle segments including cars, SUVs, pickups, and sports cars, including luxury models.
Cheapest car insurance by vehicle segment
The previous table ranking the top 75 cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland tends to be heavy on compact and midsize cars and SUVs, which are generally the cheapest types of vehicles to insure.
The list below takes each vehicle segment and breaks out the cheapest model to insure in each. Each vehicle name links to a more detailed insurance cost analysis, and rates are shown for both annual and monthly terms.
- Subaru Impreza insurance – Cheapest compact car at $1,388 per year or $116 per month
- Chevrolet Trailblazer insurance – Cheapest compact SUV at $1,268 per year or $106 per month
- Subaru Legacy insurance – Cheapest midsize car at $1,544 per year or $129 per month
- Honda Passport insurance – Cheapest midsize SUV at $1,302 per year or $109 per month
- Chrysler 300 insurance – Cheapest full-size car at $1,636 per year or $136 per month
- Chevrolet Tahoe insurance – Cheapest full-size SUV at $1,570 per year or $131 per month
- Ford Maverick insurance – Cheapest midsize pickup at $1,392 per year or $116 per month
- Nissan Titan insurance – Cheapest full-size pickup at $1,660 per year or $138 per month
- GMC Sierra 2500 HD insurance – Cheapest heavy duty pickup at $1,720 per year or $143 per month
- Honda Odyssey insurance – Cheapest minivan at $1,532 per year or $128 per month
- Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance – Cheapest sports car at $1,550 per year or $129 per month
- Acura Integra insurance – Cheapest compact luxury car at $1,506 per year or $126 per month
- Acura RDX insurance – Cheapest compact luxury SUV at $1,398 per year or $117 per month
- Cadillac CT5 insurance – Cheapest midsize luxury car at $1,804 per year or $150 per month
- Lexus RX 350 insurance – Cheapest midsize luxury SUV at $1,500 per year or $125 per month
- Audi A5 insurance – Cheapest full-size luxury car at $1,880 per year or $157 per month
- Volvo XC90 insurance – Cheapest full-size luxury SUV at $1,728 per year or $144 per month
Average car insurance cost for popular vehicles
Most of the more popular vehicles sold in Maryland do not make the lists of cheapest vehicles to insure. Models like the Subaru Crosstrek, Honda CR-V, and Nissan Rogue do because they are both popular AND cheap to insure, but others like the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, and Chevy Silverado have more costly insurance rates.
The next chart takes 20 of the more popular vehicles sold in Maryland and ranks them by average car insurance cost. The nine cheapest models (through the Honda Civic) made the list of the 75 cheapest vehicles to insure, but the remaining models have high enough rates that they did not make the cut.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee||$1,780||$148|
Maryland car insurance rates by city
Listed below are some of the larger cities in the state of Maryland and the average annual and monthly car insurance rates for each. Visit any page to view detailed rate information, including rate averages, cost comparisons, and the cheapest cars, pickups, and SUVs to insure in each city.
- Baltimore Car Insurance - $2,232 per year or $186 per month
- Frederick Car Insurance - $1,394 per year or $116 per month
- Rockville Car Insurance - $1,636 per year or $136 per month
- Gaithersburg Car Insurance - $1,628 per year or $136 per month
- Bowie Car Insurance - $1,756 per year or $146 per month
- Hagerstown Car Insurance - $1,352 per year or $113 per month
- Annapolis Car Insurance - $1,554 per year or $130 per month
Additional rates and observations
Below are some additional situations that can cause car insurance rates to fluctuate from the average. Some are policy coverage changes that can impact rates and others are differences in driver risk profile.
- Fewer accidents means cheaper car insurance. Having at-fault accidents will cost you more, potentially up to $778 per year for a 30-year-old driver and even $512 per year for a 60-year-old driver.
- Car insurance for teens can be expensive. Average teen driver car insurance quotes in Maryland cost $6,006 per year for a 16-year-old driver, $5,616 per year for a 17-year-old driver, $5,246 per year for a 18-year-old driver, and $4,748 per year for a 19-year-old driver.
- Obey the law to get lower insurance rates. To get cheaper car insurance quotes, it pays to avoid traffic citations. Just a couple of minor driving offenses can increase the cost of a policy by as much as $442 per year. Major misdemeanors such as driving under the influence or reckless driving could raise rates by an additional $1,544 or more.
- High-risk Maryland car insurance can get expensive. For a 40-year-old driver, having to buy a high-risk insurance policy can cause rates to increase by $2,016 or more per year.