- Maryland car insurance rates average $1,638 per year for full coverage, or about $137 on a monthly basis.
- Maryland ranks fourth out of 11 Northeastern states for average car insurance cost and ranks 27th out of all 50 U.S. states.
- The cheapest insurance rates in Maryland tends to be found on compact SUVs like the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Nissan Rogue Sport, Subaru Crosstrek, and Mazda CX-5.
- Out of 20 of the most popular vehicles in Maryland, only eight make our list of the top 75 cheapest to insure.
How much does car insurance cost in Maryland?
Average car insurance cost in Maryland is $1,638 per year, or around $137 per month, which is 2.8% less than the national average car insurance rate of $1,685 per year.
Average annual and monthly car insurance quotes in Maryland for five of the most popular vehicles sold in the state include:
- Ford F-150 pickup – $1,666 per year ($139 per month)
- Toyota RAV4 compact SUV – $1,518 per year ($127 per month)
- Honda CR-V compact SUV – $1,388 per year ($116 per month)
- Toyota Camry midsize car – $1,556 per year ($130 per month)
- Ram 1500 pickup – $1,792 per year ($149 per month)
The chart below shows average car insurance rates in Maryland for 2023 model year vehicles and different driver ages and policy deductible amounts.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Average rates in the chart above range from $1,238 per year for a 60-year-old driver with $1,000 deductibles to $3,784 per year for a 20-year-old driver with $250 deductibles. From a monthly standpoint, the same rates range from $103 to $315 per month.
Average rates make some assumptions like the driver is 40 years old, male, and has a clean driving record. Obviously, not every driver is going to fit into that category, so the list below includes some additional situations where rates fall outside the average.
- Not everyone has a spotless driving record, and a major driving conviction like reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, or a DUI could increase rates by $1,510 or more each year.
- Even minor driving citations like speeding tickets could increase the annual cost of auto insurance in Maryland by $428 or more for the average driver.
- Having an at-fault accident on your driving record could cause your rates to increase by as much as $674 each year.
- The insured vehicle has a huge impact on car insurance quotes. For example, insuring a Honda CR-V instead of a Ford Bronco could save as much as $436 per year on your car insurance bill.
How does Maryland car insurance cost compare?
When compared to surrounding states, Maryland car insurance rates are 18.4% cheaper than Delaware, 3.3% cheaper than Pennsylvania, 4.2% more expensive than West Virginia, and 39.5% more expensive than Virginia.
The chart below shows how average auto insurance rates in Maryland compare to other Northeast U.S. states. Maryland ranks fourth for cheapest car insurance rates in the Northeast region, and ranks 27th when compared to all 50 states.
|Northeast Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
When compared to other states outside the Northeast, the average car insurance cost in Maryland is 0.6% cheaper than Oregon, 1.1% more expensive than Montana, 1.2% more expensive than Arizona, 23.2% cheaper than California, and 25.4% cheaper than Florida.
What vehicles have cheap car insurance in Maryland?
Some of the cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland include the Subaru Impreza at $1,356 per year, the Subaru Legacy at $1,510 per year, the Honda Passport at $1,272 per year, and the Chevrolet Trailblazer at $1,240 per year.
Some of the cheapest luxury car insurance rates in Maryland can be found on the Acura Integra at $1,472 per year, the BMW 330i at $1,664 per year, and the Acura TLX at $1,690 per year.
For pickups and large SUVs, the cheapest insurance rates are on the Ford Maverick at $1,360 per year, the Nissan Titan at $1,622 per year, the Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,536, and the Chevrolet Suburban at an average cost of $1,624 per year.
The table below ranks the top 75 cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland from the 2023 model year. Models are chosen from all vehicle segments including cars, SUVs, pickups, and sports cars, including luxury models.
Cheapest car insurance by vehicle segment
The previous table ranking the top 75 cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland tends to be heavy on compact and midsize cars and SUVs, which are generally the cheapest types of vehicles to insure.
The list below takes each vehicle segment and breaks out the cheapest model to insure in each. Each vehicle name links to a more detailed insurance cost analysis, and rates are shown for both annual and monthly terms.
- Subaru Impreza insurance – Cheapest compact car at $1,356 per year or $113 per month
- Chevrolet Trailblazer insurance – Cheapest compact SUV at $1,240 per year or $103 per month
- Subaru Legacy insurance – Cheapest midsize car at $1,510 per year or $126 per month
- Honda Passport insurance – Cheapest midsize SUV at $1,272 per year or $106 per month
- Chrysler 300 insurance – Cheapest full-size car at $1,598 per year or $133 per month
- Chevrolet Tahoe insurance – Cheapest full-size SUV at $1,536 per year or $128 per month
- Ford Maverick insurance – Cheapest midsize pickup at $1,360 per year or $113 per month
- Nissan Titan insurance – Cheapest full-size pickup at $1,622 per year or $135 per month
- GMC Sierra 2500 HD insurance – Cheapest heavy duty pickup at $1,676 per year or $140 per month
- Honda Odyssey insurance – Cheapest minivan at $1,496 per year or $125 per month
- Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance – Cheapest sports car at $1,514 per year or $126 per month
- Acura Integra insurance – Cheapest compact luxury car at $1,472 per year or $123 per month
- Acura RDX insurance – Cheapest compact luxury SUV at $1,366 per year or $114 per month
- Cadillac CT5 insurance – Cheapest midsize luxury car at $1,762 per year or $147 per month
- Lexus RX 350 insurance – Cheapest midsize luxury SUV at $1,466 per year or $122 per month
- Audi A5 insurance – Cheapest full-size luxury car at $1,838 per year or $153 per month
- Volvo XC90 insurance – Cheapest full-size luxury SUV at $1,690 per year or $141 per month
Average car insurance cost for popular vehicles
Most of the more popular vehicles sold in Maryland do not make the lists of cheapest vehicles to insure. Models like the Subaru Crosstrek, Honda CR-V, and Nissan Rogue do because they are both popular AND cheap to insure, but others like the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, and Chevy Silverado have more costly insurance rates.
The next chart takes 20 of the more popular vehicles sold in Maryland and ranks them by average car insurance cost. The nine cheapest models (through the Honda Civic) made the list of the 75 cheapest vehicles to insure, but the remaining models have high enough rates that they did not make the cut.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee||$1,740||$145|
Maryland car insurance rates by city
Listed below are some of the larger cities in the state of Maryland and the average annual and monthly car insurance rates for each. Visit any page to view detailed rate information, including rate averages, cost comparisons, and the cheapest cars, pickups, and SUVs to insure in each city.
- Baltimore Car Insurance - $2,194 per year or $183 per month
- Frederick Car Insurance - $1,356 per year or $113 per month
- Rockville Car Insurance - $1,596 per year or $133 per month
- Gaithersburg Car Insurance - $1,590 per year or $133 per month
- Bowie Car Insurance - $1,718 per year or $143 per month
- Hagerstown Car Insurance - $1,314 per year or $110 per month
- Annapolis Car Insurance - $1,516 per year or $126 per month
Additional rates and observations
Below are some additional situations that can cause car insurance rates to fluctuate from the average. Some are policy coverage changes that can impact rates and others are differences in driver risk profile.
- Fewer accidents means cheaper car insurance. Having at-fault accidents will cost you more, potentially up to $762 per year for a 30-year-old driver and even $498 per year for a 60-year-old driver.
- Car insurance for teens can be expensive. Average teen driver car insurance quotes in Maryland cost $5,868 per year for a 16-year-old driver, $5,488 per year for a 17-year-old driver, $5,126 per year for a 18-year-old driver, and $4,640 per year for a 19-year-old driver.
- Obey the law to get lower insurance rates. To get cheaper car insurance quotes, it pays to avoid traffic citations. Just a couple of minor driving offenses can increase the cost of a policy by as much as $428 per year. Major misdemeanors such as driving under the influence or reckless driving could raise rates by an additional $1,510 or more.
- High-risk Maryland car insurance can get expensive. For a 40-year-old driver, having to buy a high-risk insurance policy can cause rates to increase by $1,972 or more per year.