- Maryland car insurance rates average $1,374 per year for full coverage, or about $115 on a monthly basis.
- Maryland ranks #6 out of 11 Northeastern states for average car insurance cost and ranks #26 out of all 50 U.S. states.
- The cheapest insurance rates in Maryland tends to be found on compact SUVs like the Mazda CX-5, Subaru Crosstrek, Nissan Kicks, and Toyota C-HR.
- Out of 20 of the most popular vehicles in Maryland, only eight make our list of the top 75 cheapest to insure.
How much does car insurance cost in Maryland?
Average car insurance cost in Maryland is $1,374 per year, or around $115 per month, which is 12.3% more than the national average car insurance rate of $1,567 per year.
Average annual and monthly car insurance quotes in Maryland for five of the most popular vehicles sold in the state include:
- Ford F-150 pickup – $1,332 per year ($111 per month)
- Toyota RAV4 compact SUV – $1,298 per year ($108 per month)
- Honda CR-V compact SUV – $1,204 per year ($100 per month)
- Toyota Camry midsize car – $1,354 per year ($113 per month)
- Ram 1500 pickup – $1,570 per year ($131 per month)
The chart below shows average car insurance rates in Maryland for 2022 model year vehicles and different driver ages and policy deductible amounts.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Average rates in the chart above range from $1,042 per year for a 60-year-old driver with $1,000 deductibles to $3,162 per year for a 20-year-old driver with $250 deductibles. From a monthly standpoint, the same rates range from $87 to $264 per month.
Average rates make some assumptions like the driver is 40 years old, male, and has a clean driving record. Obviously, not every driver is going to fit into that category, so the list below includes some additional situations where rates fall outside the average.
- Not everyone has a spotless driving record, and a major driving conviction like reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, or a DUI could increase rates by $1,258 or more each year.
- Even minor driving citations like speeding tickets could increase the annual cost of auto insurance in Maryland by $358 or more for the average driver.
- Having an at-fault accident on your driving record could cause your rates to increase by as much as $564 each year.
- The insured vehicle has a huge impact on car insurance quotes. For example, insuring a Honda CR-V instead of a Ford Bronco could save as much as $176 per year on your car insurance bill.
How does Maryland car insurance cost compare?
The average cost of car insurance in Maryland is higher than three of the four states that share a border. Maryland car insurance rates are 11.4% cheaper than Delaware, but they are 7.2% more than Pennsylvania, 0.4% more than West Virginia, and 39.9% more than Virginia.
The chart below shows how average auto insurance rates in Maryland compare to other Northeast U.S. states. Maryland ranks sixth for cheapest car insurance rates in the Northeast region, and ranks 26th when compared to all 50 states.
|Northeast Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
When compared to other states outside the Northeast, the average car insurance cost in Maryland is 7.7% more expensive than Oregon, 4.3% cheaper than Texas, 1.3% more expensive than Arizona, 21.2% cheaper than California, and 38.3% cheaper than Florida.
What vehicles have cheap car insurance in Maryland?
Some of the cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland include the Subaru Impreza at $1,192 per year, the Subaru Legacy at $1,332 per year, the Honda Passport at $1,108 per year, and the Mazda CX-5 at $1,048 per year.
Some of the cheapest luxury car insurance rates in Maryland can be found on the Acura ILX at $1,266 per year, the Mercedes-Benz A220 at $1,352 per year, and the BMW 330i at $1,452 per year.
For pickups and large SUVs, the cheapest insurance rates are on the Chevrolet Colorado at $1,132 per year, the Ford F150 at $1,332 per year, the Chevrolet Tahoe at $1,378, and the Chevrolet Suburban at an average cost of $1,424 per year.
The table below ranks the top 75 cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland from the 2022 model year. Models are chosen from all vehicle segments including cars, SUVs, pickups, and sports cars, including luxury models.
Cheapest car insurance by vehicle segment
The previous table ranking the top 75 cheapest vehicles to insure in Maryland tends to be heavy on compact and midsize cars and SUVs, which are generally the cheapest types of vehicles to insure.
The list below takes each vehicle segment and breaks out the cheapest model to insure in each. Each vehicle name links to a more detailed insurance cost analysis, and rates are shown for both annual and monthly terms.
- Subaru Impreza insurance – Cheapest compact car at $1,192 per year or $99 per month
- Mazda CX-5 insurance – Cheapest compact SUV at $1,048 per year or $87 per month
- Subaru Legacy insurance – Cheapest midsize car at $1,332 per year or $111 per month
- Honda Passport insurance – Cheapest midsize SUV at $1,108 per year or $92 per month
- Toyota Avalon insurance – Cheapest full-size car at $1,444 per year or $120 per month
- Chevrolet Tahoe insurance – Cheapest full-size SUV at $1,378 per year or $115 per month
- Chevrolet Colorado insurance – Cheapest midsize pickup at $1,132 per year or $94 per month
- Ford F150 insurance – Cheapest full-size pickup at $1,332 per year or $111 per month
- Ford F350 Super Duty insurance – Cheapest heavy duty pickup at $1,494 per year or $125 per month
- Honda Odyssey insurance – Cheapest minivan at $1,282 per year or $107 per month
- Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance – Cheapest sports car at $1,192 per year or $99 per month
- Mercedes-Benz A220 insurance – Cheapest compact luxury car at $1,352 per year or $113 per month
- Acura RDX insurance – Cheapest compact luxury SUV at $1,180 per year or $98 per month
- Acura ILX insurance – Cheapest midsize luxury car at $1,266 per year or $106 per month
- Cadillac XT5 insurance – Cheapest midsize luxury SUV at $1,352 per year or $113 per month
- Audi A5 insurance – Cheapest full-size luxury car at $1,614 per year or $135 per month
- Volvo XC90 insurance – Cheapest full-size luxury SUV at $1,490 per year or $124 per month
Average car insurance cost for popular vehicles
Most of the more popular vehicles sold in Maryland do not make the lists of cheapest vehicles to insure. Models like the Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, and Subaru Forester do because they are both popular AND cheap to insure, but others like the Toyota Camry, Jeep Wrangler, and Ford Mustang have more costly insurance rates.
The next chart takes 20 of the more popular vehicles sold in Maryland and ranks them by average car insurance cost. The eight cheapest models (through the Ford F150) made the list of the 75 cheapest vehicles to insure, but the remaining 12 models have high enough rates that they did not make the cut.
|Make/Model||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee||$1,518||$127|
Maryland car insurance rates by city
Listed below are some of the larger cities in the state of Maryland and the average annual and monthly car insurance rates for each. Visit any page to view detailed rate information, including rate averages, cost comparisons, and the cheapest cars, pickups, and SUVs to insure in each city.
- Baltimore Car Insurance - $1,998 per year or $167 per month
- Frederick Car Insurance - $1,190 per year or $99 per month
- Rockville Car Insurance - $1,422 per year or $119 per month
- Gaithersburg Car Insurance - $1,414 per year or $118 per month
- Bowie Car Insurance - $1,536 per year or $128 per month
- Hagerstown Car Insurance - $1,152 per year or $96 per month
- Annapolis Car Insurance - $1,344 per year or $112 per month
Additional rates and observations
Below are some additional situations that can cause car insurance rates to fluctuate from the average. Some are policy coverage changes that can impact rates and others are differences in driver risk profile.
- Fewer accidents means cheaper car insurance. Having at-fault accidents will cost you more, potentially up to $636 per year for a 30-year-old driver and even $418 per year for a 60-year-old driver.
- Car insurance for teens can be expensive. Average teen driver car insurance quotes in Maryland cost $4,924 per year for a 16-year-old driver, $4,600 per year for a 17-year-old driver, $4,296 per year for a 18-year-old driver, and $3,886 per year for a 19-year-old driver.
- Obey the law to get lower insurance rates. To get cheaper car insurance quotes, it pays to avoid traffic citations. Just a couple of minor driving offenses can increase the cost of a policy by as much as $358 per year. Major misdemeanors such as driving under the influence or reckless driving could raise rates by an additional $1,258 or more.
- High-risk Maryland car insurance can get expensive. For a 40-year-old driver, having to buy a high-risk insurance policy can cause rates to increase by $1,646 or more per year.