- Average car insurance cost in Ohio is $888 per year, or $74 per month for full coverage.
- Ohio car insurance ranks #1 out of 12 Midwest states for affordability and also #1 out of all 50 U.S. states.
- Compact SUV models like the Hyundai Venue, Nissan Rogue Sport, Kia Soul, and Toyota C-HR have cheap car insurance in Ohio.
How much does car insurance cost in Ohio?
The average cost of car insurance in Ohio is $888 per year, which is 41% less than the national average rate of $1,506. Car insurance in Ohio per month costs around $74 for full coverage.
Average Ohio car insurance rates for some of the most popular vehicles include the Honda Civic at an average of $784 per year, the Ford F150 at $860, the Chevrolet Equinox at $758, the Honda Accord at $878, and the Chevrolet Silverado at $954 per year.
The chart below shows average car insurance cost in Ohio for all 2022 models. Rates are averaged for all Ohio Zip Codes and shown for different driver ages and policy deductible amounts.
|Driver Age||Deductible||Annual Cost||Monthly Cost|
Ohio auto insurance rates in the chart above range from $672 per year for a 60-year-old driver with $1,000 deductibles to $2,040 per year for a 20-year-old driver with $250 deductibles.
When annual rates are converted to a monthly amount, the average cost of car insurance per month in Ohio ranges from $56 to $170 for the rates shown in the chart.
Average car insurance rates for teenagers in Ohio ranges from $2,228 per year for a 19-year-old female driver up to $3,176 per year for a 16-year-old male driver.
Is car insurance expensive in Ohio?
When compared to surrounding states, Ohio car insurance rates are 63.4% less than Michigan, 22% less than Indiana, 49.9% less than Kentucky, 35.1% less than West Virginia, and 30.7% less than Pennsylvania.
When compared to states in other parts of the country, the average cost of car insurance in Ohio is 60.1% cheaper than Florida, 38.2% cheaper than Texas, 34.5% cheaper than Arizona, 49.1% cheaper than California, and 15.7% more expensive than Maine.
Here’s an example in dollar amounts instead of percentages of how car insurance quotes in Ohio compare to surrounding states. This example uses the Honda Civic as the rated vehicle with a 40-year-old male as the rated driver.
Average car insurance on a 2022 Honda Civic in Ohio costs $784 per year. This average rate is:
- $1,366 per year cheaper than insuring the same vehicle in Michigan ($2,150)
- $224 per year cheaper than in Indiana ($1,008)
- $788 per year cheaper than in Kentucky ($1,572)
- $430 per year cheaper than in West Virginia ($1,214)
- $352 per year cheaper than in Pennsylvania ($1,136)
The chart below shows how auto insurance cost in Ohio compares to other Midwest U.S. states. Ohio ranks #1 out of the 12 states in the Midwest region for cheapest car insurance rates, and ranks #1 out of all 50 states.
|Midwest Region States||Average Insurance Cost||Annual Difference|
Which vehicles have cheap car insurance in Ohio?
The models with the the best auto insurance rates in Ohio tend to be crossovers and small SUVs like the Chevrolet Trax, Mazda CX-30, Buick Envision, and Hyundai Kona. Average car insurance quotes for those vehicles cost $726 or less per year to have full coverage.
Other vehicles that are highly ranked in our overall cost comparison are the Ford Maverick, Nissan Rogue Sport, Toyota Corolla, and Chevrolet Blazer. Average cost is a few dollars per month higher for those models than the compact SUVs at the top of the rankings, but they still have an average cost of $752 or less per year in Ohio.
For compact, midsize, and full-size luxury car models, the cheapest luxury car insurance rates in Ohio can be found on the Acura ILX at $820 per year, the Mercedes-Benz A220 at $870 per year, and the BMW 330i at $936 per year.
The cheapest compact, midsize, and full-size luxury SUVs to insure in Ohio include the Acura RDX at $760 per year, the Cadillac XT4 at $778 per year, and the Volvo XC40 at $852 per year.
The table below shows the top 100 cheapest vehicles to insure in Ohio from the 2022 model year.
Average rates in large Ohio cities
Listed below are average auto insurance rates for some of the larger cities in Ohio. Visit any page to view detailed rate information, plus the models with the cheapest car insurance in each city.
- Columbus Car Insurance - $1,102 per year or $92 per month
- Cleveland Car Insurance - $1,164 per year or $97 per month
- Cincinnati Car Insurance - $1,118 per year or $93 per month
- Toledo Car Insurance - $1,158 per year or $97 per month
- Akron Car Insurance - $1,066 per year or $89 per month
- Dayton Car Insurance - $1,064 per year or $89 per month